Home Buying in Baltimore>Question Details

Aya Kiki, Real Estate Pro in 21224

can a foreigner buy a house in usa?

Asked by Aya Kiki, 21224 Wed Jun 11, 2014

My mother would like to invest in the US - she is currently outside of US, but I'm here on a work visa. Please let me know.

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes, anyone can buy basically anywhere in the United States. There are a couple of different ways to do it, but I usually start this discussion with one important point.

If your mother (or anyone else) has at least $500K to invest, and would like an immigrant visa, there are special EB5 programs that they can participate in. (Miami recently got special designation!)

If the investment is less than $500K or they do not want/need a visa, then you can go through the usual real estate process.

When it comes time to sell, you will be subject to the requirements of FIRPTA. Basically money will be held in escrow until you can demonstrate that you have paid any required capital gains taxes.

Ann Ryan
Keyes Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer