spaceasfuel, Home Buyer in Port Charlotte, FL

can a community, such as a golf course home owners association prevent one from purchasing a home on that course?

Asked by spaceasfuel, Port Charlotte, FL Thu Aug 1, 2013

Answers

7
I agree with the others that have answered your question. Did you receive a copy of the HOA bylaws when you put in a contract for the home that you were seeking to purchase? Within those bylaws there should be specific items listed that can not be done--for example, no parking on the street, no commercial vehicles, are pets allowed and their size (do you have a dog? maybe they thought the dog would chase the golf balls). You should have asked why, and they should in turn have told you why.

Pam Civitillo, Realtor
Becky Borci Realty, LLC.
pamelacivitillo1@comcast.net
941-815-2837
I'm on a POA board. No one can discriminate based on race, creed etc. The POA rules are set up when the developer builds the neighborhood. They are then turned over to the POA board. As long as you follow the rules, there shouldn't be a problem. Ask to see the rules before you buy. You can call the POA/HOA and ask anything you like if you need clarification. You have to follow the rules and you have to pay the POA/HOA fees. Every development differs. Some don't allow boats, others do. You need to let your broker know what requirements you have so you buy in the right place! I'll help you if you need a broker.

Claudia
If you are turned down, you should investigate to see if they have been enforcing the regulations uniformly. I lived on a golf course condo once that allowed no boats parked in the tiny front yard. I put my boat there one day and the next day, I got a registered letter to quit or it would be towed.
They is an enforceable rule.

I now live in an HOA that has a rule against steel sheds but it has allowed several for years. This rule is now null and void. There are others so badly abused that most of the regulations are null.
They cannot discriminate if you meet all their criteria. They can turn you down for restrictions on pets, commercial vehicles in the driveway, etc. In other words, anything that goes against the deed restrictions or by laws. It is important to review those before the end of your inspection period to make sure the Homeowners Association rules and regulations are something you can live with long-term.

Kathy Betancourt
Realtor, CHMS, VA Specialist
Re/Max Hometown Properties
12456 N Access Rd
Port Charlotte, FL 33981
863-944-1908
Some homeowners associations will require the owner to apply and be approved by the association. They will do a background check. Some community associations will even interview the buyers. Other HOA's do not require approval. So, it depends on the community.

I would be happy to help you or answer any questions to you may have. I have rules and regulations for many of the communities and can send them to you if you have specific communities in mind. I can also send you a list of golf communities if that is what you are looking for. If you could send me your search criteria, I can send you listings directly from the MLS for your review.

You can search for properties on my web site at: http://www.tammyhayes.remax-florida.com/

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty, Port Charlotte, FL
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remax-florida.com/
Yes. Most run a credit check. If you have a history of paying latte or worse, that is enough.
It all depends on the HOA:
Some can limit the membership. Some may have draconian rules!
You need to do your due diligence.