Antoinette, Home Buyer in New Mexico

can a bedroom not have windows or a closet?

Asked by Antoinette, New Mexico Thu Nov 20, 2008

I need to know if a room without a closet or windows can be a bedroom

Answers

7
You would have to check your local rules of the RE MLS the state to my knowledge does not have a legal definition of what a bedroom but our MLS in Alabama does require a closet to be considered a bedroom.

Estimate cost f adding a corner closet

Lumber 10 2x4x8 at 2.15 = $21.15
Sheet rock 3 pieces $35.00
6 panel door 100-125
sheet rock mud $25
Paint $30
Shelf $15
Labor $250

For under $500 you may add a closet do it yourself and cute that in half a good sales associate at Home Depot can walk you through how to do it
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 20, 2008
Antoinette,

window
door
closet
Hi Antoinette,
You are asking a very good question! First I will say that the answer depends on where the home is located. If the home is located the the greater Albuquerque area, the room must have a closet to define it as a bedroom according the the local MLS regulations.

The room must also have a window to create a safe exit in case of a fire.

I hope this answers your question, if you are looking for a home now, it is a great time to buy! Happy house hunting!
I according to fire code, a bedroom must have a window(§ 14-3-2-2 LIGHT AND VENTILATION), and according to MLS, there must be a closet.
for new/newer homes there has to be an escape route in case of fire. Typically a window or a door. that is code from what I understand. Additionally, these escape areas have to be 5 sq feet or so to be code.
Of course for an older home I think its a case by case basis IMO.
This is a split hair case by case question. My experience the rule is it has to at least have a closet. This is what I go by. However, I have talked to a lot of people about this. Attorneys, the real estate commission, home inspectors. The answer I have got from them have been mixed as well. The part that mixes it is the age of the home. There are homes where I am an agent that are over 100 years old. These homes just did not have closets. The agents that list these are constently fighting is it or is it not a bedroom. Some say it is based on the age of the home. Some say no it does not meet todays qualifications for a bedroom so it is not. If you have a home though that is 20 years or newer. I would not try that one though because it should have closets in the rooms to be a bedroom. So the answer to your question. I would say it depends. Hope this helps.
Per our MLS rules, to be listed as a bedroom there has to be a closet.

Every bedroom should have an external exit in case of fire. That is why bedroom windows with bars have to have a quick release on the bars.