Mrs. James, Home Buyer in 77058

can I get a co-realtor to help my already existing realtor?

Asked by Mrs. James, 77058 Thu Oct 21, 2010

If I feel my realtor is not doing all she can do to sell my house, but i am under contract with her for three more months, can I get a co-realtor, from another company to help my already existing realtor?

Answers

17
Dear Mrs. James,

You can't really hire another Realtor to assist your current agent. Here are my suggestions:

- Communicate with your current Realtor. Let them know that you are a little displeased or maybe that want to brainstorm a more aggressive game plan to get your house sold.

- Have your agent talk you through current market trends that way you have a clear understanding of average days on market, average sales prices, how short sales and foreclosures are affecting your area, etc. This might help you feel better about what your agent is currently doing.

- If after the attempts above, and you still don't feel like your agent is doing what you need to do, then you need to fire them and get a new agent.

I generally always write a clause into my listing agreements that allows clients to be released from the agreement ANYTIME per written request. There is no sense in working with someone that you don't feel comfortable with (on either side).

I hope this helps!!!

Brooke Hengst
Your Castle Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.brookehengst.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Whether or not you realize it....you agent all ready has many other agents supporting her...once the listing goes to the MLS, it becomes available to hundreds of other agents.

This is a tough market in which to sell but people that are looking are attracted to the following:

1. Price...all buyers begin with the price...make sure your home is priced right!

2. Curb appeal...invest some time in cleaning, painting, de-cluttering, repairing, planting...make it "shine"...

3. Visibility...how is the public finding out about the opportunity your home represents? If you can't rattle off 5 or 6 way without having to think about it, you may want to revisit this. Since 90% of today's buyers use the internet during their purchase process, make sure you have a HUGE internet presence.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
The normal answer to this is no. If you feel your realtor isn't representing you, get a different realtor. Tell your realtor you want to try someone else. You can break your listing agreement. People do it all the time. In Texas there is a simple, 1-page form. If this makes you uncomfortable, go directly to their manager or office broker. In Texas another agent should not approach you while you are listed with someone else.

Of course there are sometimes extenuating circumstances, like your agent goes on vacation, but this doesn't sound like your situation.

I'm in the Prudential Gary Greene Clear Lake office if you would like my help.

Why would you want to pay 2 different commissions? Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 21, 2010
Sounds like you and your Realtor need to chat. Let your Realtor know your expectations. Share your frustrations with your Realtor. Also, ask your Realtor for a recent Comparable Market Analysis. Your Realtor can explain to you what is happening within your neighborhood. Where your home stands priced according to the competition within your neighborhood. Is your home clean neat and tidy? Does it have great curb appeal? Is your home staged?
Web Reference: http://www.vondagideon.com
It depends on what your realtor is/isn't doing...
If she is advertising your home..
Creating an internet presence.
Having open houses.
Responding to your calls.
Keeping you informed of sales in your area......then she is doing her job.

If you aren't doing things she's advised you to do.
Not keeping your home in "showing" condition.
Being unrealistic about price.
Not making your home available for showings....then you are blaming the wrong person.

Only you can answer these questions...if you do and find your agent not performing, you have every right to ask to be released from your contract,(which may take a call to her manager)...or cancelling your listing and re-listing with another company.
Although it's possible to 'share' a listing.. I again have a few questions.
Why should you pay someone who hasn't earned it?
Why would an agent who will in fact work to get your home sell, be willing to do it to share a commission.,,,I wouldn't , nor would most 'good' agents.
Do a bit of soul searching and make your decision...best of luck !
Web Reference: http://www.CallCtHome.com
Wow! Only if both Realtor agree but in most cases they probably won't. Reason being, both Realtors are working hard but only one will be compensated. It is up to them. Why do you think the Realtor you hired need a Co-Realtor?
Your situation is why it is so important to choose a Realtor who discusses with you how he/she will market your home before a listing agreement is signed, as well as being an agent with a proven track record in all areas of the client/agent relationship - including keeping you informed.. While there may be extenuating circumstances that are causing you to feel your agent is under-performing, apparently she is not communicating with you to let you know what she IS doing. Perhaps it's more than you think, but you just don't know about it.

In most cases, my experience has been that an agent will let you terminate the listing agreement If you are dissatisfied; however, I recommend that you first have an open and honest discussion wtih her and express your concerns. If you do not receive acceptable explanations, then I suggest you meet with the broker to review the situation and see if another agent in that office would be more suited to you.

Until the listing agreement with your current broker is terminated , you cannot enter into an agreement with another broker.
Generally no. Why not have a discussion with with your agent first and express all your concerns--is the property priced on target for today's market--ask to review recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, if pricing needs lowering, adjust accordingly and be competitive--also review marketing strategies--is your exposure maximized--if not adjust accordingly as well--if your discussion is unsatisfactory, do contact the broker owner and or office manager of the realty company, as either can terminate your contract, not necessarily the agent--express your concerns and ask for an unconditional release, or ask for another agent from within to be assigned for the duration of the contract.
This requires on the type of contract you have, and the permission of the Realtor with whom you have entered into a contract. Suggestion: Talk with your present Realtor, try to get your concerns addressed. If your Realtor is not responsive, contact his/her Broker. Ask for assistance. Ask if someone else in THAT brokerage can co-list. Again, will require your existing Realtor to OK. Getting a Realtor from another brokerage is a little dicey in the situation you have outlined. Might be just as well to ride out the three months.

Don Hagerty
Prudential One, Realtors
GREAT QUESTION: Probably not however review particulars with listing agent determine if you can cancel the agreement if you are not happy.

KEEP IN MIND we are now in extremely slow period of year for home sells, matter of fact our preference not take any listing till approx. March or April of year.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Contact your Realtor to see what they are currently doing, and then find out what they could be doing. It might not be necessary to cancel the contract, but ask your current agent if ammending the listing contract to allow another agent in is an option for you. I would include your current Realtor in on whatever your intentions may be.
Likely your in an exclusive listing with this agent. I might suggest speaking to this agent and have them list out what they are doing for you. Ask what you can do to help. Maybe speak to this persons broker to see if someone from the same office can assist or take over your home's marketing. However, you cannot sign up a 2nd agent from another firm until your current listing agreement terminates or expires.
How did you choose your present Realtor? Did she have a marketing plan and has she followed it? If you are unhappy, you should discuss the situatuion with your agent's broker. They should be able to assist you.
I agree. Definitely contact your Realtor and discuss it with them. Your Realtor may agree to let you terminate the contract and move on to a new realtor. Also, what kind of contract are you in with your Realtor. If you are in an "exclusive right though to sell" contract (most common), then you are at their mercy until the contract is up. Hope it works out well for you. Definitely go talk to your Realtor. Realtors get most of their work from referrals, so they usually don't want to make their clients unhappy..... (keyword "usually") : )
Unfortunately, no. But what you are allowed to do is ask for the listing to be terminated. Not
No. You are under contract and you cannot have someone else help. I suggest talking to your Realtor and ask what she's doing to market your house and if there is anything else she can do. There are ways out, but I suggest talking to her Broker.
I would contact the realtor and express your opinion to him/her and if you feel uncomfortable then you can contact his/her Broker and perhaps he can be of some assistance in assisting the agent.

Best of luck

Nanci Zimmerman