Home Buying in West Hills>Question Details

James09, Home Buyer in Terre Haute, IN

can I as the buyer take legal action against the seller if they breech a contract?

Asked by James09, Terre Haute, IN Tue Mar 13, 2012

we are in the final stages of closing on the house they agreed to have certain things fixed that was found during the inspection. they found sunificate amounts of lead in the water. they are not going to be able to fix the problem until after we close on the house and I as the buyer i do not want to do this.

Answers

7
Flavio Tejada, MBA, Broker/Own’s answer
you have various options and one I like is agree with the seller to not close until the problem is fixed; this is not legal advice and you should consult with an attorney if you think legal advice is necessary. Good luck

Buyer 50%-60% Cash Rebate / Seller 50% Commission Discount
Quality Full Service! Work directly with the Broker.
Flavio Tejada, Owner/Broker, Realtor, MBA-Finance
(415)305-2958
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 16, 2012
James,

Who is fixing the problem after close of escrow, the buyer or the seller? If it's the seller, then they should fix the issue before closing. If you are asking about possible legal action, then you should consult with a real estate attorney. Good luck.

Sara Mehrpouyan CDPE
Short Sale & Foreclosure Specialist
Rodeo Realty
Direct 818-903-2040
Dre License #01712757
http://www.athomewithsara.com/West-Hills-Ca-Real-Estate

Sign up for New Property Listing Alerts By Email Here: http://www.newlosangeleshomesearch.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 13, 2012
When it comes to any necessary legal advice, it's always best to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate.
Realtor's are not suppose to give legal advice. I would seek legal council immediately. Not all these answers are correct. It is lined out in the CAR purchase agreement what is allowed.
Good Luck.
Web Reference: http://Www.laura4homes.com
James,

Although I am not an attorney and you should consult one, based upon my years of experience in the business you have 3 options:

1. Back out of the deal - make sure your atty says you won't lose your deposit
2. Delay the close of escrow till the issues are fixed.
3. Do as Emily suggested - find out how much it will cost and do a holdback.

My preference would be # 2 as you haven't put up your money till the problem is fixed.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
I suggest you get the appropriate contractors or plumbers or whoever the expert is to fix this type of problem over to the property ASAP & have them create a work order or quote for what it's going to take to fix the issue.

Let's say the amount of money to cure the problem is going to be $5,000. Then you have your Realtor create an Addendum to state "Escrow is hereby instructed to withhold $5,000 from the seller's net proceeds & xyz contractor / plumber is to fix this problem (describe issue), should total cost to cure be less than $5,000, monies will be returned to seller".

Please talk to your Realtor or Real Estate Attorney about this.

I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtor
What would you like them to do? You can extend escrow or have them prepay the repairs or ??? But if you want the house you need to propose something reasonable.