Rnmike2004, Home Buyer in Santa Clarita, CA

buyng a trailer home

Asked by Rnmike2004, Santa Clarita, CA Mon Apr 23, 2012

Answers

8
And your question is . . . ?

It depends on the area of the country, but in many areas you'll find more trailers sold privately than listed on the local MLS. So, if you're looking, certainly work with a Realtor but also recognize that many will be for sale that aren't on the MLS.

Financing can be difficult unless it's new or nearly new. There are some specialty lenders for mobile (and manufactured) homes. Usually, the park management will have a list of possible lenders. Many mobile and manufactured homes, though, are bought with either all cash or with owner financing.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 23, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Good luck to you in whatever you do!

Cheers,

Crystal
thanks guys for giving your points of view. I appreciate your inputs. It made me weigh my priorities.
The reason I recommend against trailers has nothing what-so-ever to do with commissions it is becuse it is not a good idea. Trailers are a good way to lose money. If they worked well there would be many more of them.

Just to clarify in the last 10 years the number of trailers and trailer parks in this area has decresed not increased. You are far better off buying a condo then a trailer. Any advice to the contray is suspect.

Ask yourself these questions: How many financially solid, successful, people do you know who live in trailers in this area? How many Real Estate investors would buy trailers? Why are trailers so cheap? Are they desirable? Buying a trailer is just not a good idea.

Richard Szerman
Silver Creek Realty
661-253-3000
RnMike...

Paying for a nice trailer...and
paying for the lot...

Could be about the same as a small home in surrounding areas like Newhall or Sylmar
Let's get you qualified...818 445-6918
On the contrary, parks in this area aren't really disappearing. In fact, some parks are currently adding units as we speak.

Trailers aren't right for everyone, but for some buyers, trailers are the best option for ownership. If you have cash to purchase, then the monthly lease is an affordable alternative to apartment rent. The rent is not tax deductible, but the lower payments may offset your lost tax benefit.

Realtor commissions for such transactions are quite low, so trailer purchases aren't very popular with most agents.
I am a Realtor in Santa Clarita and I would strongly suggest against buyig a trailer home. They appear less expensive, but after consideration you will find that the numbers usually just do not work. It is very rare that a trailer is a good idea for almost anybody. There is a reason most trailer parks in this area are disappearing.

Also the leased land option of Canyon View Estates is a very, very bad idea. The restrictions in the tract in addition to the high monthly rental fees do not usually work for most situations.

I have seen client after client over the years lose money in trailer homes and leased land fiascos. Please do yourself a favor and consider other options before buying a trailer. There is a reason trailers are not popular. They are rarely a sound investment.

Richard Szerman
Silver Creek Realty
661-253-3000
If you are purchasing in Santa Clarita or surrounding areas, you have MANY choices...including suburban and rural settings with both family and senior park options.

There's also a fantastic alternative to mobile homes in the Canyon View Estates community. Here you'll find manufactured homes that rival the quality and comfort of traditional single family residences.

Please elaborate on your needs, and I'll do my very best to assist you with your SCV mobile home search!

Drive safely and stay dry today :)

Cheers,

Crystal