Tommy, Home Buyer in Amherst, VA

buying hud house (as is) can't close due to mold and hud won't let us in to fix. what can i do?

Asked by Tommy, Amherst, VA Tue Aug 30, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


If you are using an FHA loan, there is a rule in the FHA guidelines that allows for a repair escrow of up to $5,000 with your loan do make the necessary repairs after closing. You pay for the repairs though, the $5,000 becomes part of your loan balance. The other option is to switch to an FHA 203 Home Renovation Loan - that is if the repairs are more than $5k or if your current lender does not allow the repair escrows for repairs under $5k (again, that is only done on HUD foreclosures). You can learn more about the FHA 203k program at the website I reference below - I created it as a simple site for my clients to learn more about the 203k and to show new clients the before and after pictures of my other clients homes. After seeing the site, you may decide you want to do a lot more to the house than just the mold. If the cost of the mold repairs is a deal breaker because you'll be paying too much for the home, you'll have to cancel the contract and make a new offer - HUD does not renegotiate contracts. Just make a lower offer on your new offer to purchase. Good luck, give me a call or email if you or your agent has questions about the 203k - I'd be happy to help you save your deal.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 30, 2011
Read the HUD contract. It's time to begin searching for another home.

Dwayne Moyers, Realtor
Maryanne Moyers, Managing Broker
Avery-Hess Realtors (Lake Ridge Office)
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 30, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer