Destiny, Home Buyer in Franklin Park, IL

buying house;in-laws live there as tenants, not pd rent in 1 yr due to foreclosure. Want them out asap, since apt will not be for them. What do I do?

Asked by Destiny, Franklin Park, IL Tue Dec 24, 2013

Answers

14
Your Inlaws? If so, Have your wife explain it. Try to have a normal conversation first. Give them time to find something. Then if you start the eviction process with the sheriff etc....You probably will lose the relationship. Who is paying the utilities?
I think if you have a realtor come in and assess the potential for rent, then you can explain that you need that rent to pay the bills. They should understand that- if not, you gotta do what ya gotta do.
I like this answer the best. Have your wife explain it to them. Let us know how dinner goes on Christmas. I think I saw this on Hallmark Hall of Fame years ago. Or maybe it was Lifetime cable.
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
need more info on this situation, but not easy since its family.... but you def has some options, I'd get a realtor of some sort involved to help them find somewhere to go, since they're family
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
mother-in-law has been unemployed for 1+ years. Never saved $ from her unemployment cks to move knowing the house was for sale. Sad because she is family, but she wants no help from anyone. Wants to stay put unless she gets cash for keys. And this is NOT going to happen unless the seller (her mother) decides to give her cash to vacate asap.
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
Follow the rules in the CLTO and you should be fine. Give written notice etc. the joys of doing business with family! Maybe help her find a place to go. If she had that lined up, it would be easier for all if you. Get her a leasing agent/ realtor now to take care of it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
I referred her to a leasing agent who was more than happy to help her find a new apartment, and offered to help her myself. It brings me no joy to have to do this the hard way but I'll be losing out on $800 a month if she stays past closing plus all costs associated with eviction. She's not cooperating at all at this point. Not even with her mother's realtor.
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
Will probebly need more details, but in the menatime follow the Chicago Landlord Tenant Ordinance and hire an attorney that specializes in evictions.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
There are now specific rules for notice in these foreclosure situations. Even though these are your in-laws, it is important that you follow those rules to the letter of the law. I can refer you to a real estate attorney that specializes in foreclosures and landlord/tenant law.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
You will have to treat them as tenants and go through the eviction process like every one else.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
Evict them by putting a third party in place to avoid family conflict. Hire a property manager familiar with Evictions and the home should be empty with in 2 months.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
You will have to file a 30 day notice and then enforce it in court if they do not comply. It is unfortunate but that is the only way to ensure action
Well if you own the property and she doesn't pay rent, you can evict her. Sounds a little harsh for family. Get a leasing agent to help her out. Hopefully it all works out.
Erik Miles is a great lawyer for this. His phone number is 312 854 8092 and his email address is Miles@LawFirmMiles.com

However, as you are probably aware, there will be costs associated with engaging a lawyer. Erik is fair and a good person though. Good Luck.
email me at jmichaels@remax.net with some options
The easy answer is get an attorney and evict them. Fully think out the long term consequences of taking such action against family members.
Get a good divorce lawyer if you kick your in-laws out. Otherwise, get a new real estate agent and find a different property. Never willingly open a can of worms.
*cash for keys
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
Reading the additional comments, it is much more complicated, but I believe the bank gives the case for keys. Personally, I would stay away from this ENTIRE situation, great deal or not. This is a salt in open wounds deal.
Flag Tue Dec 24, 2013
Thank you all for your answers! My mother-in-law is occupying the first floor, that is to be my apartment. We want this house no matter what since we're getting a great deal. I explained to her in OCT 2013 that we were purchasing and closing would be in Jan 2014. Now she says she wants cash for keys. NOT going to happen! I don't want to accept any rent from her, because she is not supposed to be a tenant when the home was purchased and she knew this. She was supposed to vacate by closing date per our signed offer agreement with her mother, who is the legal homeowner. This is approx 90 days notice. I suppose eviction based on terminated tenancy would be the best route. I just need her to move out and she will not speak to me and wants nothing to do with me because she cannot stay.