Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

brkonwar, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

buying a house in Spring branch (sbwest). Zoned to spring woods middle & high (for sure)? memorial middle & high over inflated. any advice?

Asked by brkonwar, Houston, TX Mon Sep 10, 2012

Answers

7
Location is "almost" everything in regards to real estate. For Spring Branch, schools dictate the desirable "locations." Memorial will comand a much higher price than Spring Woods and in some cases- double the price. Like many have said here "find a good agent" to help you with your search. http://www.PGRsells.com
When making an offer on a home, there are many factors to consider including the price. Your Realtor will best be able to advise "if" the home is overpriced. It might seem overpriced considering condition, location, etc...but in fact it might be in-line with homes around it. Reviewing recent sales comparables is the best thing to do.

Buying in a good school district will always increase the value of the home. You, as a buyer, are responsible to check the schools zoned to a particular home and see if the schools meet your needs. Other items you might consider is location, lot size, upgrades in home and general floorplan.

Finally, if the home is overpriced, take the advise of your Realtor and go ahead and make an offer. Most sellers in the Houston market only come off 2%-4% off of list and it is very rare you see any seller come off more than 10%, but you can give it a try. You will find most homes that are priced correctly will sell in 90-120 days. If overpriced, they will set for 6 months or more. Let us know if we can help as our office is located at Bunker Hill and I-10 in Spring Branch!

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
I live in that area. Feel free to give me a call and I can discuss your concerns. I can also share with you how my neighbors handle schools for their kids. (713) 973-7872
Web Reference: http://www.DaveRealty.com
You've asked a bunch of questions in one sentence. We need to slow down and look at them individually before we can come to a conclusion.

Should you buy a home in Spring Branch? It's certainly a desirable location, given the proximity to I-10, and the growth of the area ... shopping, medical facilities, etc. School zoning and TEA disignations are matters you need to check independently. If you're comfortable with the results, and can qualify for a loan, I see no reason why you wouldn't pursue a purchase.

A word on your comment about "over-inflated" prices. It's a common misconception that sellers establish value. The fact is that buyers actually do ... any home, irrespective of location, is worth whatever a qualified buyer is willing to pay for it, If property in a given subdivision is consistently selling at or near the asking price (96% to 97% of list is a good number to work with), then that's "market value." You may not think that the homes are worth that kind of money ... in that case, I'd eliminate the area from contention.

Of course, there are extremes ... the seller who wants every dime he put into the place over the past 20 years (right down to the drapes), and the buyer who goes in with a lowball number, in the hopes that the seller wants to get out from under the place ASAP. But as a rule, homes throughout Spring Branch/Memorial sell at those "market value" figures.

I hope this has helped. If I may be of further service, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@algeffon.com
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon

If you would like some assistance in your purchase, including information about school zoning, I'd love to help!

Just give me a call or send me an email.

Sabrina Dupas
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Gary Greene
(832) 264-3958 cell
sabrina.dupas@garygreene.com
Good morning,
I specialize in the Spring Branch area (living and working in Spring Branch for over 14 years) and would welcome the opportunity to assist you in your real estate needs and goals. I know the Spring Branch School District zoning well and could answer your questions and provide information allowing you to make an informed and educated decision for your needs.

If you are not already working with a realtor, email or call me. It would be a privilege to assist you.

Sharon Fritsche
Principal - Broker
Step By Step Real Estate, LLC
(713) 303-8160
Sharon@StepByStep.pro
Contact a realtor in person so they can assist you as you consider your options. Myself, or any of the other realtors on this forum would be glad to give you the one on one, personal assistance required to help you find the best area for your family. There are so many factors that come into play, it is impossible to give advice to your questions posed.