Question Details

Damadedie, Home Buyer in San Marcos, TX

buyer agent in new home purchase

Asked by Damadedie, San Marcos, TX Tue Aug 14, 2012

Another question: Does buyer agent's role in a new home purchase is less critical? What are the normal responsibility for them in the new home purchase comparing to pre-owned one? Do they normally involved in the 8-9 month home building process. or they are just involved during contract signing and closing?

Answers

3
Keep in mind that the builder is trying to sell you a house, for the highest price. Your buyer's agent is going to help in negotiating the best price for you, as well as looking out for your best interests during the contract negotiations. It doesn't cost you anything to be represented by a Buyer's Agent, so why not?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 14, 2012
Buyers agents are even more important in the building process, as there are so many more steps involved.
In addition to the previous comments, a good Realtor will engage the builder and try to find out about and negotiate builder incentives. Quite often builders will throw window coverings or $$ towards the costs of landscaping.
I will definitely use an agent, as without an agent I might not even qualified for a rebate. However, is the agent's job more standardized than what is required in an pre-owned house purchase as there is basically no price negotiation? does an agent involved in any build process? I am thinking about using a discounted agent instead of an full service one as I will be able to keep larger potion of rebate.
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012