Home Buying in Greenwich>Question Details

Benjamin Mac…, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

building a 60000 sqaure foot house on 10.3 acres land

Asked by Benjamin Mackey, San Diego, CA Fri Nov 22, 2013

let says.. i'm thinking about to purchase a land which has 10.3 acres by the converse lake greenwich, ct. my question is , is it possible to build a 60000 sqaure foot house on 10.3 acres land? all my life i have lived in the new york city, dont know really much about building my own house, now that i have a new born daughter so i'm thinking about to move to country side.

Answers

11
Just realized you had a bunch of great responses (I'm getting used to Trulia right now). Ignore my first two sentences.
Maybe he decided he likes New York afterall. A month later, he posted, "is it possible to build a 25000 square foot house on 3.5 acres water front land?" ...in Great Neck.
Some Trivia: Did you know that some languages, eg those of West Africa, such as Igbo, do not use articles, as we do? You can Google translate Spanish/French not bad (I speak both) but never Russian..you need an expert.

So....it would be very hard for someone from, say, Lagos, Nigeria to sound like me (of New York). Someone from NY would not tell you they came from "The New York City".

If I was asked by a stranger, I'd say I was from New York or "The City" (unless I was near San Francisco which is also "The City"). To a Realtor, where this information is relevant and helpful in getting an idea of what my tastes might be, I'd say, I'm originally from the Upper East Side and currently reside in Ross, CA. ;-)
Flag Wed Jan 15, 2014
I'm not sure why you haven't received answers yet. This might be because you are categorized as "San Diego"? Did you have any luck with the house question? Greenwich, CT has all sorts of rules and regulations for home construction. The one you are going to be most interested in here is the FAR (floor to area ratio) keeping houses under a certain ratio depending on the size of the property and zoning of that area. a 60k house on 10.3 acres up by converse (assume it's in Conyer's Farm?) might be pushing those numbers. Give me a call (203.940.0444) or direct email (scott@elwell.com) and Ill be happy to connect you to some professionals that are used to that issue.

Scott

Scott Elwell

Sotheby's International Realty- (MBA) - GreenwichCT.com
One Pickwick Plaza, Greenwich, CT 06830 | Licensed in CT & NY
Mobile: 203.940.0444 | Fax: 203.930.2808 | Email: scott@elwell.com
Please see the good advice you are getting here. Perhaps spend some weekends in Greenwich and see if it suits you. I love Greenwich. Everything is a matter of taste. So, that said, in my opinion, a 60,000 sq ft house would be terribly out of place.

What part of NYC are you in? I grew up in the upper east.

There are lovely houses that already exist in Greenwich and also in NY cities such as Rye that are large and lovely. Whatever house you decide upon...new or old, large or small... the first rule is: it should fit with the existing landscape (including architecture of other buildings). Also..please do enlist the services of a good architect, interior designer and real estate agent to help with your move. Good luck. :-)
10.3 ac x 43,560=448,668

lot area of 448,668 x .0625 = 28,041.75 sf.

.0625 is the floor area ratio used to determine the maximum square footage in a 4 ac zone. If it is a two acre zone, there is a different ratio use. I believe it is .09.

Give me a call at 203-561-8092 if you have any more questions, or if you'd like me to elaborate.

Robert Pulitano
Berkshire Hathaway
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 24, 2013
Benjamin,
Building your dream house by Converse Lake on the Greenwich/Bedford border sounds wonderful!

1st-Interview and hire a local reputable builder who will walk the land with you to determine if you can accomplish your goals on that site. Feel free to call me for a list of local builders.
You will need time to do your due diligence on the land you select.
The builder will guide you regarding the testing that needs to be done to determine
if the site is right for your needs. Each lot is different and you will need to have all of the following information to determine the FAR or size of the house on that particular property.
Testing includes but is not limited to
wetlands survey & perc testing conducted by soil scientist and required by the health dept. for septic installation.
An Engineer will need to site the house in relation to wetlands, septic & well sites.
I work with builders on a daily basis and am very familiar with the process.
Feel free to call me for a recommendation.
Hannelore
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Hello Benjamin, not quite sure why you would want and or need 60,000 sq ft. Steve Cohen's main house is around 35,000 and that is really quite impressive. As the others have said, the FAR on 10 acres would not allow that size. Additionally, P&Z have looked at some submissions for very large homes with a jaundiced eye of late.

Perhaps a wiser course might be to buy the land and sit on it. Meanwhile, rent or buy something else and "try on" the town. You might decide that full-time country life isn't for you, perhaps Greenwich would work better as a weekend and vacation destination.

Jay Cooke
Go over this with your Realtor, they will be the best resource for your area.
I have a 15.63 acre land listing inside the lower gate at Conyers Farm. The maximum square footage permitted on the land would be 42,500 SF per the FAR regulations. In order to build this home, you would need to receive approval from Planning & Zoning, the Building Department, Inland Wetlands Agency, and the Architectural Review Committee at Conyers Farm. The spectacular stone home that has been designed and approved for this site totals approximately 25,000 SF and it would be difficult to get approval for much more than that. The property is listed for $4.75 million and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the property in detail with you
Your realtor should advise you of the FAR (finished area ratio) which takes into consideration the lot size, zoning, set backs - so in Conyers Farm for example - the Zoning is R4 - single family 4 acre zoning - I am not sure of the exact lot that you're considering but most likely it would allow for at least 14000 SF. Keep in mind that SF is calculated on above grade area. If you are not already represented by a realtor I would love to be of fuehrer assistance
I have a 13.35 acre parcel of Land and home here on the East coast. A lovely country home. If you would be interested I would be glad to send it to you.
It is possible. We have various codes in Greenwich which regulate the permitted size of a home. It will depend on the land itself (wetlands/flood zone) and the zoning of the home site. Also, we have green space laws to consider, but with 10+ acres it seems that you will have plenty of green space.