Home Buying in Brewster>Question Details

Rosemary Had…, Other/Just Looking in 06013

best area for retires to live on cape cod?

Asked by Rosemary Hadsell, 06013 Fri Mar 4, 2011

interested in moving to cape wondering safest, area for retires to live, safe areas to walk, less crowded areas especially in summer any areaS NOT recommeded. where would you want your grandparents to live?

Answers

14
Check out Southport on Cape Cod. You can't beat the amenities, golf, tennis, indoor & outdoor pools, fitness/health centers, walking trails, sports lounge, check it out http://www.southportcapecod.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
Hi Rosemary - We suggest the Mid-Cape Cod Area (Barnstable, Yarmouth, Dennis, Sandwich). This way you are close to what Falmouth & Mashpee have to offer and within a 45 minute drive (depending on traffic!) to the Lower Cape Towns. Every Town on the Cape has traffic! It's about using a local Agent (we specialize in the Mid-Cape Area) to help you navigate the back roads to your new home. Once you become a "local" you will get to know your way around the Cape's back roads and traffic will not be so much of an issue. Of course, you may want to stay away from the Bridges on Saturday/Sundays, but you become accustom to it & can plan your travel around these days. We would love to help you find a home on the Cape! If you have not already found an agent, check us out on our website: http://www.mariesouza.com/
The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Phone: 508-790-2000
info@mariesouzateam.com
Web Reference: http://www.mariesouza.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 20, 2011
Hi Rosemary,
Having owned multiple properties in multiple towns on the Cape, I would suggest retirees live in West Yarmouth or Dennis for a few reasons. The real estate taxes in these two towns are lower than other Cape towns by significant amounts. So, retirees get to keep more of their retirement income for other uses. Next, both areas are relatively close to the commerce center in Hyannis (stock brokers, car repair places, department store shopping, etc) and Cape Cod Hospital (short ride) and other doctor offices. Both towns also have inexpensive golf courses and indepth cultural programs for seniors. Last, but not least, these areas avoid the tourist and city-like traffic congestion found in Hyannis and in the summer, traffic snaking all the way out on Route 6 from Eastham to Provincetown. Hope this helps, and congrats on your retirement!
Mary Lewis
Principal
Sterling Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 20, 2011
Hi Rosemary,

Since you're not too far away, my suggestion is for you to plan a weekend on the Cape (or longer) checking out some of the towns to see what feels most like where you would want to live. A lot of your answer really will be personal preference. Also, what do you like to do in your spare time, that will be a large factor. Do you want to be near a golf course, shopping, fishing, beaches, the bike path or nature trails? It sounds like you should stay away from the large towns, as there IS a lot of traffic and congestion all summer (and longer). Some of the very quaint towns will have congestion during the summer months, but this is mostly downtown or along the coast. You can enjoy living in these towns, but just don't live right in the heavy-traffic areas. For example, you can live 10 minutes outside downtown Chatham in a peaceful neighborhood like Riverbay Estates. You learn the short-cuts and back roads. I'm sure each community is like this; there are streets to avoid and those to take during rush-hour. I'm happy to help further if you would like, I work in the Lower Cape towns (Chatham, Brewster, Harwich, and Orleans). My parents are on the other end of the Cape and I have lived there as well, so I can give both views on this. Good luck in your decision, and Happy Spring!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 21, 2011
Do not allow anyone to go to this place. Dump, absolutely terrible type of people residing there. You will never get your investment back. This place is a hole.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 14, 2013
Why do you say that? I am thinking about looking there.
Flag Sun Mar 16, 2014
The North side is a bit gentler, quieter, and mid Cape is closer to services like Hospitals, restaurants but more retirees tend to live on the lower Cape in Harwich, Chatham and Orleans. The upper Cape i.e. Sandwich, Barnstable is a easier shot to activities in Boston so I'd prefer mid Cape on the 6A side
As an annual visitor (non-owner) and lover of the Cape we prefer the "elbow" area(Eastham) because of its central location. A far as a location during the summer that isn't crowded, I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal with it. If that's a deal breaker you may want to consider off-Cape options.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
Having lived in Falmouth for over 10 years, I have to say that Falmouth offers the best of both worlds.
You're surrounded by many bodies of water, close to Martha's Vinyard and the island lifestyle, but only
an hour away from Boston.
Rosemary,

Each area of the Cape has something different to offer. Many people like the upper cape Sandwich, others Hyannis, Yarmouth and Barnstable, then there is Falmouth, Maspee, Osterville, others Harwich and Dennis, I like the lower Cape(the real cape and the National seashore) , Brewster, Orleans (best of all worlds) and Chatham , then there is the lower Cape, Eastham, Turo, Welfleet and lastly there is P-Town (which we all love)

Louis
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
Hi Rosemary,

There are many great areas on the Cape to live. The Cape does have a lot of retirees as it is a wonderful place for outdoor activities, arts, and great restaurants to enjoy with your family and friends. I work in the Mid and Lower Cape (including Chatham, Harwich, Brewster, Orleans, Dennis, and Yarmouth) and I am a certified SRES, specializing in assisting people in the transition into their retirement homes. Each Cape town has a different appeal for buyers and there are certain areas in each of these towns that are great for walking and will be less crowded in the busy summer months.

Your best approach is to visit the Cape for a day, weekend, or longer, and explore each of the different towns to get a feel for where you would feel most at home. It is very helpful to have someone who knows the area helping you along the way so if you have friends or family in the area ask them to help, or if you are interested looking at some houses while you are here you can have your Realtor show you around. There can also be a big difference in the price of homes from one town to the next so you will need to take that into account if you have a certain investment range that you would like to stay within.

You asked where I would want my grandparents to live...well my grandparents live in South Chatham! South Chatham is a great area of Chatham; a little less expensive than areas closer to town and definitely less congested in the summer months, great beaches, walking areas, and close the bike trail as well. There is so much to discover here on the Cape and I would be delighted to show you around when you are ready. Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Good luck in your plans for retirement and let me know if I can be of service to you.

-Sunny Fellman, SRES
508-776-2692
sfellman@kinlingrover.com
By Molly A.K. Connors
mconnors@capecodonline.com
April 04, 2011

Three months, four shootings.

Jan. 6: John Lopes, 23, on Center Street, Hyannis.