Judyraymond, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

be very aware of their hoa fees if you are wanting a townhome they are outrageous. There is no justification for such high hoa fees.

Asked by Judyraymond, Houston, TX Wed Jun 6, 2012

Answers

5
I believe You are CORRECT in Your assessment ; The Main Reason I have found that HOA Fees keep going UP & Typically are HIGH is because the People that are running the HOA : 1. Dont know what they are doing or how to get it done. 2. They have their Own agenda or (agenda of a small group) of other Owners as priority(a lot of Personal Preference) of a few supercedes the best interests/welfare of the many , even if they arent makeing "intelligent & informed" decisions. I can tell you a lot of stories I experienced FIRST HAND as a member of the Board of Directors for an HOA with over 100 members, I know what Iam talking about & overall it was very "revealing/eye opening" to be on the "inside" & find out what was really going on & how clueless most people are when it come to dealing with Maintainence & Vendors. Inability or failure to realize when there is a problem & recognize it & come up with a viable solution seemed to be the mode of operation until it got to the point of Failure/Breakdown & the they wanted to Increase dues to correct(PAY) for the failure/breakdown of impose a "Special Assessment" ; My experiance is that HOA's Waste about 33%(1/3rd) of the money they collect from the Home Owners
Judy,

Some HOA fees go up temporarily to pay for special assessments such as new roofs on the town homes, repairing a pool, etc. In a community of single family homes, the fees could go up to pay for extra police patrols or redoing an entrance sign. These fees also pay for common areas and street lights. The sad truth is expenses, fuel, insurance fees are going up and it is simply passed on to the owners.

The best thing to do is get involved with your home owners association (HOA) so you know where your dollars are being spent. You do have a voice and can vote on anything they pay money towards. If you think it is too high, get involved and figure out how to bring those fees down!

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty
some People do not have the time and or energy to get involved in the hoa. i aould prefer to only pay for the hoa to enforce rules that keep property values up a well as caring for the community grounds and pool that the complex is on however not the ground the home is on let the individual homeowners take care of that and letting each individual home ownr hire thier own contractors for plumbing,electrical, roof,and siding repairs
Flag Wed Jun 6, 2012
why do hoas pay for street lights aren't those covered by the City or County. i really would prefer to pay for My own new roof which i did when i owned a house here they had an hoa and i probalby saved money getting My own contractor. i also prefer to pay My own bills with a seperate meter for those utilities otherwise i may be paying for someone else's overuse of water or electricity if i let the hoa decide how much i owe if they do that by taking the bill for the complex and divideing it evenly.
Flag Wed Jun 6, 2012
actually everyone gave very good advice as for Youget what You pay generally the median range in everything You pay for is the best value including Property and hoa fees
Flag Wed Jun 6, 2012
thank You for the excellent advice and information.
Flag Wed Jun 6, 2012
Every place is different and I think typically you get what you pay for.

If you have a pool, gym or other amenities you'll likely pay higher dues.

If you have deferred maintenance you may pay higher dues.

You want reserves for replacement to avoid special collections.

I've typically found that overall expenses with HOA are no more than single family homes, and if you have a really proactive board they might even be less....for example if you could negotiate replacing 200 roofs with a contracter vs negotiating for one as in a single family home. Same with insurance, pools, lawn care, painting and all the other items that come up.

The one exception I don't like is if they pay for heating and cooling, then I think people tend to be wasteful or extreme. Even if there is only a handful of people that are extreme, you're paying for it. That's not all that common though that HOA pays for electricity or heat and air around this area.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I think you are getting confused with subdivisions that have HOA, they are for the manage and maintain the common areas such as a pool, tennis courts, etc. The maintanence fees for townhomes and condos are different. They go for the insurance of the exterior of the building, some includes the cable, electricity, water, sewer, security and pool and clubhouse maintanence. Just have to check with each condo and or townhome community to see what there fees includes.

Debbie Hoffart
so maintence fees are not hoa fees they are seperate . How do I get the maintence fees lowered and also how can I actually get rid of maintenence fees since i prefer to be responsible for repairing My own property getting bids and the best contractors for the various repairs such as roof, siding, plumbing, electrical, foundational, as well as paying for My own pest control and My own utilities. I prefer to choose My own utility companies as well that knowing i am getting the best rates.
Flag Wed Jun 6, 2012
If you are concerned about the HOA fees, you should get involved with the HOA board. As a resident/member of the HOA you have the right to review the finances of the HOA.

You would be surprised how much the common area maintenance and pool maintenance can cost, not to mention insurance and building maintenance if it is included.

After you review the budget and you feel there are still problems express your concerns at an HOA meeting, or better yet run to be elected to the boards of directors. Being involved in your neighborhood can be very rewarding.