Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Wadzo, Home Buyer in Dover, DE

average annual heating and cooling costs in austin, tx

Asked by Wadzo, Dover, DE Thu May 9, 2013

Answers

18
fosterkicks99’s answer
I varies upon different factors. What temperature you like to keep comfortable at in the different season. How well insulated your place of living is. Also, consider what is powering these units: electric verses gas.
Michael Foster http://www.erickson-plumbingqc.com

This is a great question. As you have probably gathered, the answer to this question is highly subjective to your families' lifestyle, age of house, number of stories, HERS rating, weather, and other factors. In Austin we tend to experience very hot and dry summers, and frequently have cold winters. Due to our weather, heating and cooling costs tend to be expensive. According to Austin Energy, the average home in Austin uses about 12,000 KWh per year.

For properties that are located in The City of Austin, we are fortunate enough to a city-owned electricity company which contributes substantial revenue into the City's general fund. Additionally Austin Energy, is under the mandate of the City to be as environmentally friendly as possible. This means that there are substantial grants and low cost loans available to homeowners in order to reduce the energy usage of their home.

We also currently have an ordinance that notifies consumers about the energy usage of older homes. This is used to notify consumers of what their average bills might look like. There has also been a lot of talk about requiring energy efficient upgrades prior to selling a home, but that has not yet been implemented.

I hope that helps to answer your question. If you would like to learn more about energy-efficient homes in Austin, TX please contact me and I will be happy to help you..

Sources:

http://www.austinenergy.com/Energy%20Efficiency/Programs/Reb…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
Wow, thanks for the in depth response. We're hoping to move into a home with some newer heating and cooling appliances in the Austin area by next year. This will make planning for it much easier. Thiago http://www.ultrahome.ca
Flag Tue Jul 1, 2014
>There has also been a lot of talk about requiring energy efficient upgrades prior to selling a home, but that has not yet been implemented.

Let the buyer c0cksuckers do the upgrades.
Flag Wed Dec 18, 2013
I wish I could tell you but I've only ever had to pay for heating and cooling in Winnipeg. Probably not gonna be even close to the same.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
This is going to depend on how hot or cold you keep the house AND on how well the home is constructed and insulated AND on size of the home. These three variables are too expansive to be able to give an accurate answer.

I can tell you that some areas charge more for things. For example the Lakeway area charges about double what the city of Austin charges for water. Something that you should also consider is the property tax rate. This can vary from 1.80% up to 3.35% and that can impact your taxes in a major way.
Depends on the price of natural gas at the time, but it's been increasing a lot lately. The Heating Contractors in Markham (http://www.ultrahome.ca) are a good reference if you have more questions about heating. Really helpful.
I think this is true. It will depend on a lot of factors. I haven't ever lived in Texas, but I assume it would be more than where I live. Where I live doesn't get as hot as it does in Texas, so I probably don't pay as much.
Gary Puntman | http://www.durhamhomecomfort.ca
Flag Mon Jun 2, 2014
It's crazy how expensive things like this can get. I just had a gas bill that was crazy high! I decided to check out http://www.plumbprosinc.com and see what they could do to help me get my bill down.
As was said, it'll depend on several factors. The size of the house mostly, but also what upgrades have been done (newer furnaces, replaced windows, etc.) I also find that layout of the house affects how air flows. An open floor plan with wood or tile floors will be cooler than small, carpeted rooms. I would suggest looking up rates for local utility companies, along with asking around the neighborhood you'll be buying in. Good luck!
I've been wondering what heating in Calgary would cost? It's starting to get cold now and I would like to fix this asap.
Heating can get so expensive. Especially heating in Calgary I've been trying to find ways to get the price to go down. Does anyone have any tips?
Too many variables to advise on an average, but having lived in many cities in the U.S. I can attest that Austin's utilities are on the low end of the spectrum. For the same size house I had in AZ my utilities here in Austin are less than 25% of what I was accustomed to paying.
It depends on the home and you! The square footage of the home, the updates and maintenance of the homes (A/C, insulation, windows, ceiling fans, blinds etc), and what temperature you feel comfortable with. I have friends in Austin, some like to set the temperature in their homes at 73 some at 80.

My suggestion is before purchasing a home, ask the sellers for their heating/cooling cost per month and at what temperature they set their AC/heater at.

I hope that helps. Give me a thumbs up if you find my answer the most helpful.

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
My husband and I were trying to compare costs last night to how our new Edmonton heating is different from when we used to live in Texas. It's a difference, it's something were going to have to adjust to and learn how to handle in this new environment.
I bet that some of the heating cooling contractors rochester ny could help you out, though it all depends on what kind of house you are buying, like some of the others here said
As you've probably already read, that is an impossible question to answer. However I think you're probably asking overall where does Austin stand as far as cost of energy, etc. Comparatively speaking, Austin has one of the lowest costs of living in the US of any major city, and that would include utility costs as well. So basically, Austin is not a very expensive place to live with regard to utilities, and most other things for that matter.

If you are considering a move to Austin and do not yet have a Realtor to help you, feel free to contact me and I will do all I can to assist. I help buyers from start to finish at no cost to them, and am one of the top agents in the greater Austin area. Thanks, Joe

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012)
Call 512-261-4415
The average annual heating and cooling cost in Austin Tax is $2,892.47 exactly.
Minus the "exactly" part
Wadzo,
An answer for the "area average" would call for wild speculation. I've seen new construction homes where the builder gives a guarantee of a maximum cost/bill. There are at least 4 different electric providers, a couple gas options, all electric homes...you get the idea. I'll go out on a limb and say that what we spend more in the summer we make up in the winter compared to many northern climates.
My home is all electric and the average is about $200/mo for a 3200 sq/ft home 1 story.

Best wishes...I"d be happy to help you.
Wow, that's cheap compared to San Diego. I just paid $276 for gas and electric, in the summer time. You don't need A/C in San Diego, and there's only 2 of us. Water bill is on average $400 bi-monthly. Not hard to guess why I'm looking at Austin forums...
Flag Wed Oct 9, 2013
There is no readily available statistic for what you're asking. Any answers given would be entirely speculative. As noted below, it depends on many things and an average across the board would be useless with respect to trying to figure out something for an individual home.

Just put it in perspective. Do you know, or can you find out what the average heating and cooling costs are in Deleware?

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin
GRI, CRS, ABR, CLHMS, e-Pro
512-799-3239
austin_realtor@earthlink.net
http://www.austinonlinehomes.com
Dear Wadzo:

This question is VERY subjective because of home size, age of heating/cooling systems, individual's desired usage, etc.
That is exactly what I was going to say. I live in an apartment so it doesn't cost a lot of keep it warm/cold. I typically try not to use it if it can be helped.

Alena | http://www.bestwayheating.ca/about-us/
Flag Mon Mar 31, 2014