Home Buying in Mashpee>Question Details

Sid, Home Buyer in Mashpee, MA

are trulia listings susposed to be in mls?

Asked by Sid, Mashpee, MA Thu Apr 18, 2013

Answers

9
You kind of have it backwards. Listings get put on MLS and then migrate to Trulia. There are some listings that are not in MLS that are on Trulia and mostly because they have not been updated as pending or sold. The most up to date listings come from MLS
Trulia pulls listings from several sources and the MLS is one of them. So, not all listings you see on Trulia are from the MLS, it could be from a different source. Some are just listed as a public record and are not actually for sale.
To be fair...Trulia does provide many worthwhile services to both real estate Pros and consumers. I've had many good relationships with clients I "met" through Trulia. One of those clients once told me "Trulia has it's faults, but it brought us together". Can't get much stronger an endorsement than that! I also feel I've provided some good guidance to consumers looking for answers to their real estate questions. In return, Trulia makes money from Pros through advertising dollars and consumers through selling their info. Seems like a fair trade-off. The single greatest benefit to both Pros and consumers would be for Trulia to end its relationship with that mega-foreclosure-site-who-shall-remain-nameless. I believe they are the single largest contributor to false information on the site, likely accounting for MOST of the 37% of faulty information sited to by Annette. This IS a real estate site, because there are a BUNCH of Pros providing free guidance to a BUNCH of consumers ABOUT real estate.
As for the original question...I think my colleagues have certainly answered that. Best of luck in your home search....
The Wavgroup study revealed 37% of the data found on Trulia to be faulty.
Further, the report revealed that 'Home for sale' data could lag professional websites by as much as 7 days.
Trulia practices deception in systemically presenting information as a 'foreclosure' or 'for sale' when the property is not in foreclosure or sold many, many months ago.

The real purpose of Trulia is to sell advertising opportunities to agents and mortgage brokers and insurance folks and moving companies......using the stolen collateral of real estate professionals as the bait. I know, you thought it was a real estate website. Sorry, it is not.
No is the one word answer. To add some flavor to the one word answer would be that I have heard this question asked more times in the reverse by agents.
Nevertheless, Trulia gets the all of us looking, talking and curious about real estate. Trulia is more of an advertising company using Multiple Listing and other services throughout the USA with permission from providers and distributes the information through their platform.
You have gotten some great answers. Basically, the answer is no. A 'trulia' listing could be anything. It could be, essentially, and 'ad' as in some of their foreclosure 'listings'. They seemingly have a record of any home in any step of the foreclosure process and list it here with a link to RealtyTrac. My guess is that RealtyTrac pays for that and is paid back heavily by the subscriptions they gets from links through this site.

True MLS listings are mainly transferred to this site with some rare exceptions, but the opposite isn't true.
No Sid. Trulia has nothing to do with Multiple Listing Services (MLS) which are strictly for licensed real estate agents. Our area MLS allows a listing agent to feed their listings to Trulia, Zillow, Realtor.com and other websites as a marketing option, but it is not mandatory. Trulia and these other websites are marketing real estate related services to consumers and use MLS inventory for content. The public record and demographic information is usually pretty good, but do not rely on them for a complete inventory of current homes for sale or their market values.
The get feeds from all the MLS services within 24-72 hours.
Trulia does not list property.
They are not licensed to sell property, as far as I know.

Listings on sites like trulia are there because the listing agent or broker has agreed for them to be there.
Some properties are not there, and others are not updated there.

Keep in mind what Tru lia sells - ads and your email, name, phone, and anything else you will give them for nothing.
One of the problems with sites on the Net that only sell ads or just collect email addresses to resell, is that the info on their pages is often meant to cause you to provide your email and name for resale.

I'd spread the word to use actual real estate professionals' sites rather than ones where the correctness of the data is not as important to the site owner as gathering and selling your name and email to the highest bidders is.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)