Mark, Home Buyer in Chilton, WI

are there any homes in wisconsin that would do contract for deed?

Asked by Mark, Chilton, WI Wed May 21, 2008

Answers

6
I'm looking for a duplex in Milwaukee, WI with a land contract.
I am also looking to do a land contract in the Sun Prairie WI area. please email me if you can help. Thank you
Sure there are homes being sold with "Land Contracts". I have several that I can discuss with you. They are located in a beautiful residential setting in the Wiscosin Dells. Contact me and I will tell you more. Bill Baker, Baker Reatly Group. Check out the website reference below.
Here's an answer I posted recently for a similar question. Here are some ways:

To find contract for deed properties, you often have to use some creativity. Most aren't listed on the MLS.

If you use a Realtor (a good idea, by the way), your Realtor has to go beyond searching key words. And there are plenty of ways you can find a contract for deed property on your own, as well.

The main point is that a large number of homes for sale or for rent are owned by people who'd be interested in offering the properties on a rent to own or land contract. But most won't be listed that way. So you really have to go beyond the obvious--having an agent look in the MLS for "contract for deed."

There really is no "best" way to find them. It depends on your neighborhood, what you're looking for, what you can afford, your comfort zone. (Are you willing to call up people who are advertising their houses to rent and ask them if they want to offer a contract for deed? Some people are; some aren't.) So, read through the list and pick 3 or 4 that make sense to you.

Here are just a few ways.

**Using a Realtor**
[Note: If you use a Realtor--which is fine--ask them how they'd find contracts for deed properties. If they can't come up with more than 1 or 2 of the answers below, find another Realtor.]

--Some lease-purchases (for simplicity's sake, from here on I'll call them lease-options--in other parts of the country, similar arrangements may be called rent-to-own, land contracts or contracts for deed) are listed in the MLS. Not too many, but some. That's where to begin. However, that's not where to end.

--Search for homes that are listed both to rent and to sell. There may not be any comment that the property is a lease-option, and maybe it didn't even occur to the seller. But a property that a seller is willing to lease, but is also willing to sell is a perfect candidate for a lease-option.

--Search for homes that are listed for rent, but were previously listed for sale. It's likely that the owner was trying to sell the house, but wasn't able to. Now he/she is willing to rent it. That's another perfect candidate for a lease-option.

--Search for homes that are listed for sale, but were previously listed for rent. In today's market, there will be fewer of them, but it happens. Again, another great candidate for a lease-option.

--Search for homes with expired listings. The owners wanted to sell, but weren't able to. Many will consider renting the property, especially if it's vacant.

--Search for homes listed for sale that are vacant. The owners are hurting. They might appreciate the cash flow they'd receive from leasing the property.

--Search for homes listed for rent that are vacant. Again, the owners are hurting. And most owners of single family homes are "reluctant landlords." That wasn't their long-term strategy. Especially if they're bleeding, they may just want to get the property off their hands.

***Not Using a Realtor***

I'm not advising doing it yourself, but you certainly can. Any competent Realtor--and there are many--should be able to find you plenty of lease-option opportunities using the strategies above. However, here are a few other ways to do it.

--Advertise on sites like CraigsList for a lease-option. Advertise under both the rental and purchase areas.

--Go through the papers and look for properties that owners are trying to rent out. A lot of them won't be listed in the MLS. Approach them and explain that you'd like to rent their property for awhile, then have the option to purchase it.

--Look for FSBOs. Same basic pitch to them. You'd like to buy their house, but would like to rent it first.
--Choose a neighborhood you like. Knock on doors. Ask, "Do you know anyone in this neighborhood who might be interested in selling their home?" Often, you'll turn up people before the home is listed. Again, you explain you're interested in buying, just renting awhile first.

--Put cards up in your local supermarket.

--Attend a meeting of your local real estate investors club. It may cost $10 or $15, or maybe nothing. There's usually a time near the beginning of the meeting when investors can stand up and offer or solicit deals. You can stand up, too, and announce that you're looking for a rent-to-own. Specify what you're looking for (number of bedrooms, baths), geographic location, type of property (townhouse, single family home, etc.), maximum amount you're willing to spend on rent and purchase, and anything else that's relevant. Print up some one-page factsheets with details. Make sure you put all your contact information on there. To find your local real estate clubs, go here: here: http://www.creonline.com/real-estate-clubs/index.htm
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Mark,
Are you looking just in the Chilton area? I know of some sellers that would consider Land Contract in and around the Madison area, perhaps even Verona. I also know of a number of sellers that would do a Lease With Option. Let me know if I can help.
Thanks and good luck.
Web Reference: http://BaehrInc.com
Mark,
I'm sure there are Sellers that will consider doing a Land Contract. Your best bet is to find a Realtor in your area and they can check on MLS for any listings that indicate possible Seller financing.
Plus, they may be able to "network" with other agents in the area you are looking in.

All the Best to you
Web Reference: http://www.GoPackerUp.com