Bernadette, Both Buyer and Seller in Maryland

are split level home less preferable than colonial style in the Washington DC/MD/VA area?

Asked by Bernadette, Maryland Sat Oct 29, 2011

Depends on the potential purchaser.

I believe both have their pros and cons. the split provides a feel of more rooms and space based on their layout. Colonials are very appealing and gives you a historial sense especially in DC.

Guideline is 2BR condo...3BR townhome...4BR detached. Now, what kind of detached? I never thought I'd buy a split and I get to see all kinds of homes but last year I did and I love it!! It has a floor plan that allows it to be opened up on the main living level, then steps down to a family room then a few more steps to a private office with built ins and work out room. I have two bedroom levels which is very suitable- a MBR suite and then the kids have the second upper level with three bedrooms and a bath. I have a 5 lvl, 5BR split and I really like it. There is a lot of private and public space and as the kids get older, they are nearby but with a little legroom. Statistically, colonials sell more as they are what is built now, but they have some limitations (the older) ones on being able to open them up more especially if they are center-stair traditional colonials. Let me know if you like would direct comps!
Web Reference: http://www.MollyCarter.com

I am not a realtor just a home owner <with a colonial> and yes to me it's nothing against splits it's just to me a colonial feels more like a "real" home to me. We moved from the split level to a colonial. We moved for the space but all things being equal I'd rather have the colonial. Just looked at the homes that my buyers did so far this year. 65% of them were colonials 25% were splits and the rest were a combination. Even one of the dreaded split foyers. I also think that what's reasonable for a neighborhood comes into play. Before we moved there were 13 homes on our street. 12 split levels built in the 1950's and one colonial built in 2006. It looked out of place to me and others as well. Nice home but I think he would have trouble possibly selling it some day also. Hope this helps just me thinking out loud.
Hi Mary,

A true split level is one of the most desirable styles (and my personal favorite). Traditional colonials are the most "standard". The only house type that I've ever gotten an objection to is a split foyer. Many families have told me to exclude those from their home search.
It really depends on the buyer. One tends to find more colonials in DC and more split levels in the 'burbs, but each buyer is different and has different needs. What is more important is location, being near transportation, shopping, schools (if needed) and other life-style needs (gym, work, etc) than home style.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 30, 2011
If you plan to buy and sell in the future, look for 2-3 bedrooms either split or colonial style as long as they are in good location close to shopping, transportation, schools, restaurant. every buyer is different, but majority look for location, location, location. it doesn't matter if the home is colonial or split level. call 301-905-6739 or email elvira@longandfoster.com to discuss your needs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
In general, Colonials are the most preferred homes buyers choose but then it's a tie between split levels and Ranchers. Many older buyers who are looking for less steps prefer both of these styles, while younger, more contemporary styled buyers like the clean lines. Split foyers are the hardest to sell as buyers do not like the fact that you must choose to climb stairs just to get into the house.

All in all, you should be in fine shape and as competitive as those Colonials out there. Buyers are most interested in condition of property, the amount of space, and the amenities the home has. You can't change the style of your home but you can make the home look amazing by staging and doing simple spruce up projects!
Web Reference: http://www.effylamp.com