Home Buying in Charleston>Question Details

yoli200067, Home Buyer in 11756

are people in Charleston really snobby??

Asked by yoli200067, 11756 Sun Feb 16, 2014

The question is subjective and why entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you, therefore research on your own and take the time to visit more than once and then make your own determination, snobby or not....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
I am from NJ originally. I frequent Charleston & It is a wonderful area. I feel that snobby is a personality type & not related to a specific area. I have had experienced friendly & snobby people most everywhere. But in my experience I would say not people in Charleston are not snobby. I hope this helps. Good Luck
Christine House
Web Reference: http://ChristineHouse.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the response. It is appreciated being that we're from NY and are looking to move to this area.
Flag Sun Feb 16, 2014
Thanks Christine, it's good to know especially since we're from NY that you actually feel this way about Charleston. I appreciate the response!!
Flag Sun Feb 16, 2014
When you are excessively proud of your heritage and you value certain aspects of that heritage to an extreme degree, you can come off as "Snobby". Charleston is a city steep in history both positive and negative. As are most city's throughout the world, that has been my personal experience.
If you are a person who is opened minded and have a strong belief in self, the encounters you come across as snobby will have little or no affect on you or your beliefs.
yoli200067, I am originally from CT and when we first came here to look for a home, my husband and I were blown away with how friendly everyone was - strangers smiling at you as you are walking by, saying good morning. And, children are raised here with impeccable manners - "yes, mam, no sir" and being called "miss Desiree" by little ones is adorable. As another agent said, there is something about southern hospitality and charm and our city has been voted one of the friendliest cities for several years now. You will love it here!

Desiree Maurer
Actually the people here are very friendly. Charleston has been voted one of the friendliest cities in the US. Southern Charm...

Kathy Emde
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. When we moved here I'd be out by the pool with the kids and there would be this group of moms standing around gossiping about other moms who "wore that" or "did that" and I felt like they WERE really snobby. So I moved to another neighborhood and here everyone is FANTASTIC.

There are snobby people everywhere, but in general Charleston was voted one of the friendliest cities, it's pretty nice here and the odds are you'll run into good people as long as you are open and inviting yourself.

The one thing that IS different here is that people don't go out in sweats and t-shirts much, at least downtown or in Mt. Pleasant anyway. People have makeup on before they even drop their kids at school half the time, so I feel a little self-conscious. I've got the best neighbors ever now though and they don't really care. :-) Good luck!
That's a pretty subjective question. Like everywhere, some are, most are not.
Charleston is a very friendly city. I am a native & find that the rudest people are those transported here. Notice that in Charleston you seldom hear a car horn at corners & intersections? The vast majority of Charlestonians are welcoming, considerate, & polite. I have lived in other areas, and think Charleston is the best.
Oh my goodness no!

I have lived in the Charleston area my entire life and believe that Charleston is not unlike any metropolitan area in that there are of course people that are not as friendly as some others but that as a whole, people in the Charleston area are some of the friendliest people that you will find! They are welcoming, charitable, and open to making new friends. If you don't live her but you are thinking about visiting or moving here, you will be making a good choice!

Cheryll Woods-Flowers, Mount Pleasant Home Team
Coldwell Banker United Realtors