Home Buying in Humble>Question Details

Teachjking, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

are dr horton homes in denver of good quality?

Asked by Teachjking, Denver, CO Tue Aug 14, 2012

Answers

3
DR Horton Homes in general are what I would deem to be of average quality overall. They offer good value for the money but having had buyer clients purchase them or consider them in different locations over the past 20 plus years and having built homes myself, I have never found them to be exceptionally well built. I would strongly advise that you hire your own home inspector and plan on two inspections, a pre-drywall inspection so that they can see all the framing, rough electrical and plumbing and then a final inspection when the house is complete. To be fai I would suggest these to any buyer of new construction regardless of the builder.

DR Horton does have a reputation for retaining mineral rights under the homes that they build and selling these off later for Fracking purposes. You should consider this and if you (like I) have concerns about fracking I would be extremely cautious and carefully review every document DR Horton asks you to sign.
I think Mr. Roddy is correct in his suggestion that you hire your own inspector and have him/her come in during different phases to check on the work. I know that seems like an extra expense that you may feel you just can't afford but if you plan on staying in this home for any amount of time it will pay off. The other thing I would suggest is be very careful about the money you give them upfront because if you choose not to close there is a very good chance they will not refund it. That was my experience anyway and from what I've read the experience of others. Also when you purchase your lot pay attention to the grade. That's a real big deal in my part of Texas.

D.R. Horton builds a pretty house for a reasonable amt. of money. That's about the only nice thing I can think of to say about them. Good luck.
I can address my experience with DR Horton homes in the Houston area . . . they are a builder that has been around for a long time and have survived the cycles in the real estate market overall. My clients have been satisfied with the DR Horton homes they have purchased and I have not had any issues on the resale market. From community to community and state to state where DR Horton builds (any builder for that matter) it will depend on the supervisor running the project and how they communicate with you and how they supervise the subcontractors. Obviously, any home you consider purchasing should be inspected by a licensed inspector and you should be provided with a report of the inspectors findings. I would recommend finding a good, qualified inspector and spend the money to get a very thorough inspection. If you are building a home with DR Horton (or any builder) you should inquire if you can have phase inspections performed. This means, the inspector will show up at different phases of the construction to assist with informing you of any possible issues in the process up to that point and for you to discuss any findings, by the inspector, with your builder supervisor and have these concerns addressed. This should help to eliminate any oversights by the builders subcontractors and correct the concerns prior to the builder proceeding with the building.
As you discuss builders with different people, you will hear good and bad with virtually all of them. Do your homework, talk with others who have purchased DR Horton homes in the area you are considering and get their feedback along with having any home you are considering inspected and inspected well. It will be worth the peace of mind.

I hope this helps and all the best on your new home.

Michael Roddy, REALTOR
Houston, Texas