Mom, Home Buyer in Acton, MA

advice on selling your house yourself

Asked by Mom, Acton, MA Tue Aug 21, 2012

Answers

8
I'd love to help you. Please contact me through my Trulia profile.
Since you already have a buyer, I would contact a trusted real estate attorney to draft up documents. The buyer may want to consult their own to put in a formal written offer, although if price is agreed on, you may opt to go straight to Purchase and Sale. That all being said, a realtor on both sides can be helpful if you don't have contacts for attorneys, home inspectors, etc.
Real estate commissions are negotiable. If you already have the buyer, much of the work is done. I would imagine any agent would help you out for a small percentage of the sales price. If you don't use an agent, definitely use an attorney. Though you are friends now, it is always best to do things legally, get everything in writing to protect all parties, and to make sure there are no misunderstandings. Using a professional, you cover all bases.
My neighbor wants to buy my house. What is the best way to accomplish this?
Hi Mom

Before my broker gives me a commission check on a sale I close, I must satisfy a check sheet with over 60 entries for various forms, agreements and disclosures.

Hopefully, you will cooperate with area agents and be lucky enough to have a competent buyer's agent bring you an offer and keep you in compliance with all local and state laws.

Barbara Grandolfo
Being willing to work with agents that bring you their buyers to consider your property may be the angle that recognizes an early success for you. You'll benefit from having an experienced agent to guide you through the process that could save you 50% of the normal commission.

Going solo without professional guidance could open yourself up for many potential problems.

Read this excellent article put out by Yahool Financial: http://homes.yahoo.com/news/top-ways-sell-home-2012-211148446.html .
Ensure that you do your research and that you understand the challenges that you may face when you attempt to sell your home without the assistance of a real estate agent. Real estate professionals are uniquely qualified to eliminate these challenges by ensuring that the right price for a home is set, developing a comprehensive marketing and advertising plan, scheduling time to show potential buyers and most importantly identifying buyers who have both the financial means and the desire to purchase the home.