Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

Hari, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

30 year old home in parkmont vs 18 year old home in ardenwood. Similar sq footage , same number of

Asked by Hari, Fremont, CA Mon Jun 22, 2009

bedrooms , same number of baths . Older home has upgrades ( counter tops , hardwood floor , recessed lighting ) , ardenwood home is newer but no upgrades ..

school districts similar , price ardenwood higher but not way too high compared to the parkmont home

which is better buy in terms of resale ?

Answers

5
Dawn Rivera’s answer
Hi Hari,
I agree with Brian, but just wanted to add, that while it is true some people tend to like the newer homes, that is not always the case, also the Ardenwood home will go to American High and the Parkmont home will go to Washington high which is a much better high school......You have a lot of good information to help you in your decision good luck, Dawn
Hello Hari,
Both homes have a great potental of resale value. Fremont is big, but not that big. If both neighborhoods maintain there status (condition, shools...) and both homes maintain condition and with future upgrades to either, both will be great investments and great homes to raise a family.

However, many home buyers like newer homes, and when the time comes for you to sell, the Ardenwood home will still be newer than the Parkmont home. So it's possible that the Ardenwood home would be the better investment. Plus with the chance for you to upgrade the home even more than it is now, that would further the chance of making more money in the future.

Hope this helps, good luck with your decision.

Brian Ripp, CRS, GRI
Broker, Notary
Check my new web site: http://www.BrianRipp.com

Real Estate Market Weekly Update Webcast: http://realtytimes.com/REUv/BrianRipp
510-710-4905 cell
510-794-9006 wk
Realtor since 1985
Hello Hari,

You have asked a good question; many buyers would like to know in this kind of comparable homes situation where to land and which home to make it a prime residence?

In my experience, when it comes determine a resale value of a property, following
factors play major role

• School District
• Neighborhood
• Age
• Condition
• Floor plan
• Yard size
• Privacy
• Lot location in the community
• Directions of the front door

Both the Ardenwood and Parkmont Schools have good reputation that I have heard
from my clients, the parents who live in those neighborhoods, which is also evident by Ardenwood and Parkmont schools API scores.

If your question is for your self to see which one should you go for…
I would say compare your commute to work

1. Ardenwood school area is close to Dumbarton Bridge/84 and 880

2. Parkmont school area is close to 880 and 680

If your concern is age of the home in Ardedwood and Parkmont, I would say compare the neighboring homes rather than age of a particular home. The neighboring homes can help lift the market value of a property if they are well kept or will bring the price down if they are in rough shape.

It’s a great time to buy than rent; you are on a great track!
Very many (if applicable) tax advantages too!

Good luck to you,

CharoBhatt
510-381-2105
http://www.HomesByCharo.com
CharoBhatt@gmail.com
Hari,
in you decision consider the home with the better floorplan, lighting, and location, if both are equal in these regards, then choose the neighborhood you feel more comfortable in, talk to your neighbors, confirm the schools will be able to admit your children. Both Parkmont and Ardenwoods are impacted.

Good luck with your house hunt. I know it's not easy.

Cheers,

Sunil Sethi
Associate Broker, MBA, REALTOR, CPA
Web Reference: http://sunilsethi.com/
Hi Hari,
Both the homes are located in Fremont School District and the ratings are pretty similar for the Parkmont and Ardenwood elementary. Check to see which one has a better floor plan. Up grades can always be done but changing floor plans is not easy.
If you like both the floor plans equally, and you are looking in terms of resale I'd suggest the younger home.
Call me if you like and I'd be glad to talk to you in more detail.
510 882 6729