Home Buying in Ellijay>Question Details

Wendlyss, Home Buyer in Ellijay, GA

24-year-old cabin problems large enough to kill the sale?

Asked by Wendlyss, Ellijay, GA Wed Aug 12, 2009

I'm doing due diligence. I noticed some of the logs were sticking out, not exactly lined up, when I visited the cabing over the weekend. The inspector said it might affect the ability to sell the property in the future, but it wasn't going to fall over or tumble down the hill. My question is this: Is this normal for a 24-year-old log cabin? It's an adorable cabin in a desirable community, but I don't want to buy a clunker, so to speak, just because of that...

Answers

5
Anthony Babcock’s answer
HI, wendiyss.

My business is located in Ellijay and we specialize in log home repair and restoration. I have adjusted many homes in the area and that could take care of the problem. Some times a log sticking out could cause some issues with the weather but other times it is just the character of the logs- every tree is different and has different grain patterns that age in different ways.

Please feel free to contact me at any time. I always give free estimates and on-site evaluations and I should be able to tell right away if it would cause a problem. I would be happy to come out whenever is convenient for you and your agent.

Check out some photos on my website for the last log home restoration project I completed.

http://babcockresidentialgroup.com
That may be a tough question to answer without actually seeing the property, Wendlyss. What does your selling agent say? Almost all "true" log homes have floating interior walls, windows and doors and an adjustment system for settling after construction is completed. This one should as well, which may remedy the potential problem area(s). Good Luck in whatever you decide.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 12, 2009
Here in our Mountain Area of Ellijay, we have many excellent Full Log homes and lenders are used to financing them, so that should not be a problem.
I'm not sure what you meant by logs 'sticking out'. Logs should have what is called a drip edge where the the bottom edge of a log hangs out or lips over the log beneath it to allow water to drip off and not run into the joint below it. If the upper edge of a log sticks out where water can collect on it and run back into the joint, there is the potential for the logs to eventually rot. A house which is 24 years old should have mature logs that should not need adjustment assuming the house was built with adjustment capability. Not all log homes are built with adjustment systems.
Log homes do need periodic staining to keep the logs in good condition. Frequency will depend entirely on the location and orientation of the home with sun and weather exposure. If the home is chinked, that will have to be maintained also.
Ultimately if you are not comfortable with the information you have received fully answering your question, do consult a log expert. If there is anyway I can help you further, please contact me.
By the way, I do love my Full Log home.

Sharon Huneycutt, Associate Broker
Realtor, GRI, e-PRO, REO Specialist
Ellijay, Georgia
Wendlyss, I would expend a little more energy and maybe money to continue your due diligence and ask a log restoration expert to look at the cabin. I am not promoting anyone, but I do know of two in the area - one is Weatherall between Blue Ridge and Blairsville and the other is in the Ellijay/Blue Ridge area called Black Bear Cabin Restoration Co. There are probably others, but those 2 come to mind. You could also go to Toccoa Lumber at the edge of Blue Ridge heading toward Bliarsville as they manufacture logs for building and they may be able to answer your questions on the longevity of logs and also give you tips on the proper care of them. Once you understand the care and feeding of the logs, you may be able to answer your own question on the life of a cabin. Remember, Abe Lincoln's boyhood cabins are still standing!!!

Judy Aselton, Realtor, GRI, ePro
Blue Ridge, Ga.
Many lenders won't loan on these types of homes, have you checked your mortgage broker before exhausting anymore time.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com