Home Buying in Berryessa>Question Details

rkforhome, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

1829 libretto ct, san jose 95131.Need some details on the neighborhood

Asked by rkforhome, Santa Clara, CA Sun Sep 29, 2013

Is this a good neighborhood for families with young kids.What is the diversity in this community. When I drove there, I found only korean people around the community. Is the san jose airport/flight noise be heard in this area.

Answers

10
krishhomes13 aka rkforhome:

I suggest you hire an agent to do a lot of this looking for you. As you can see from my post, I ;m not afraid to actually tell you what you want to know about an area.

Agents are not allowed to steer, which means guide you to places thye want you to see or buy based upon their own prejudices and assumptions about you based upon your race or ethnicity. Agents are supposed to answer fully and honestly any question you ask. But some agents are so afraid of being told by some regulator that they are steering, that they forget the difference between working from their assumptions/prejudices and simply answering question a client has. The latter is our fiduciary duty to the client.

If you would like an agent who understands hi fiduciary duties and is not afraid ot perform them on your behalf, please give me a call. 408-639-0211 or an email at mitchell@handsonrealtor.com. As you might see already, I take a hands on approach to making you happy.

Mitchell Pearce,
408-639-0211
mitchell@handsonrealtor.com
I think we have seen few homes in that community. After some research we decided to drop the idea of buying home near power lines as we have kids. Also, with the BART lines next to it, its not worth. May be we can pay additional 100K more but get a better location in Milpitas.
rkforhome:

The railroad tracks are going to become the BART line from San Jose to Oakland and beyond. The line will probably be noisier than the trains were.

Mitchell Pearce
408-639-0211
mitchell@handsonrealtor.com
The price looks good for the schools and location. But, there seems to be a power line right behind the home and also train tracks going in less than block behind. This home is on the last street in this community and the street behind does not look nice. These issues worrying me a bit to proceed.
Hi Rkatswood,

I visited that home, very pretty. The elementary school for the home is currently Northwood Elementary, api (academic performance index) score is 902, which is pretty good. Good school scores indicate good neighborhoods. The advice about door knocking is wise.
It helps.Thanks a lot for your answers.
rkatswood:

I live about 2300 meters south of the address you are asking about. The general neighborhood is clean and quiet. I live behind the Ranch 99 market on Hostetter. For over five years, I was the only Caucasian within two blocks of me. I shop at Ranch 99 and usually see one or two other Caucasians who are usually with their Asian spouses. Most of my neighbors are Chinese. Many are Vietnamese or Filipino and some are South Asian. When I go to Townsend Park, I run into one or two other Caucasians, many Indians, many Asians, some middle easterners and a smattering of others. When I shop at Costco, on Automation Parkway, about 1000 meters from Libretto Court, the racial and ethnic mix has more Hispanic non-Hispanic Caucasians but basically, it is like being in in a mixing bowl of racial and ethnic ingredients, which I very much like. Costco has responded to this mix by stocking ethnic favorites, so to speak, from almost every corner of the word except Great Britain and northern Europe. I can cook almost any cuisine I want and find most of the ingredients at Costco in sizes far too large for a single meal for one person.

When I am at the post office at Lundy and Hostetter, the Asian to non-Asian ratio is about 3:1. Most of the restaurants are also Asian. There is a Goldilocks, which is popular with my Filipino friends. There are several Vietnamese and Indian restaurants, some Japanese restaurants, some Muslim restaurants including a Muslim Chinese restaurant (I'm not fond of their food.) Most of the Chinese restaurants use too much MSG and could use some advice on cooking from my Chinese mother in law.

My wife and I are trying to raise our children to be international citizens without any prejudices. San Jose, particularly this neighborhood, is a great place to raise such children because although everyone has the California habit of sticking to themselves, when we interact in this neighborhood, it is always pleasant and gracious. I've not experienced any racial or ethnic issues that would make anyone in my family uncomfortable.

I don't remember any violent crime matters since I moved here. Our neighbors watch out for one another at night, noting anything odd. I've been woken up by a neighbor who asked me to investigate some noise with him. Another neighbor was having his car re-possessed. We detained the tow truck driver till he could prove his tow was legitimate.

In the 7 years I've lived here, I've never had any crime issue during the day. Twice, I've forgotten to lock my car and noticed something was missing from it the next day. I grew up in a very rural area where no one locked anything so I've forgotten to lock my car countless times. I've gotten better since my wife has taken to reminding me.

I think this area is a fine place to raise a family, though the Berryessa School District is not the best, and Piedmont High is much better than Independence High.

If I can be of any further assistance to you, please call me at 408-639-0211 or drop me an email at mitchell@handonsonrealtor.com.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Mitchell Pearce
408-639-0211
mitchell@handsonrealtor.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
True that us agents are strictly prohibited from discussing demographics. And you know, that is a good thing. California and especially Silicon Valley is a melting pot of people from all walks of life. That is the diversity that makes us such a wonderful place to call home.

If you are looking for a specific type of community, take the advice to visit the neighborhoods throughout all times of day, night, weekends, etc. Talk to business owners, and neighbors. You can also search demographics in the school API. During your visits, you should also be able to ascertain if any traffic, air path, trains, or other noise and commute factors which affect your decision to buy.
Can't say as to the diversity of the community (against the law) but you can always go to the area during the day and see what the noise is like for the flights.

Also, a real estate agent would be able to answer all of these questions. Do you have one?
Do you have pre-approval for a purchase loan?

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Thank you for your question:

We as REALTORS are very limited with respect to what we can say about a neighborhood. We must avoid "steering" which is a violation of law.

I have found that the best way for my clients to determine whether a neighborhood is right for them is to go out in the neighborhood, knock on the doors of the neighbors and ask the neighbors for their opinion of the neighborhood. For example I recommend that you ask questions, such as: what do you like about this neighborhood? What do you not like about this neighborhood? Why did you chose to buy in this neighborhood rather than buy in another neighborhood?.

The answers that you get to those questions will give you a very good idea, whether or not this neighborhood is right for you.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
Broker/Owner: The Butterfield Real Estate Firm
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Email Addres: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yao.com
BRE#00901872