Home Buying in San Jose>Question Details

Pangjiangjj, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

2 kids family move to San Jose, need good nearby elementary school, price between 600k to 1000k

Asked by Pangjiangjj, Seattle, WA Tue Aug 7, 2012

my husband's job will be located on Hamilton Rd. I have 2 kids, therefore I need to have good elementary school and kindergarten nearby, good investment return if later I rent or sell the house. Which area do you all suggest? My budget is around 600k to 1000k.

Answers

11
Hi Pangjiangjj:

Thanks for your post. As the others have already mentioned, there are excellent schools nearby Hamilton in the Campbell School District. However, since you're new to the area and new to the State of California, might I suggest WAITING for a bit before buying? As much as I'd like to sell you a home (I am a Realtor, after all), I'd be doing you a disservice by suggesting buying without your having better knowledge of the area or of your housing choices.

The first thing you'll notice here in California is both "sticker shock" (what is available for the money here versus Seattle) and the abundance of buyers wanting each home. At present, we have--in many areas--more buyers than we have homes. This has resulted in multiple offers on great homes and sales prices exceeding the listing price. If you're on a fixed budget or unfamiliar with the communities, it behooves you to take time to research the area more thoroughly before attempting to leap into an overactive housing market. Once you know what you want, where you really want to live, and have seen the communities, you'll be in a far better position to purchase a home.

So, plan on renting for about six months to acclimate yourself to California and to the various communites that would make great places to live. Welcome to California!!

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for your advice. Can you give me your email address so that I can give you some of my information for house selection?
Flag Thu Aug 9, 2012
hi, I have a 2750 sq ft house in south san jose that i am interested in selling. It is only 11 year old. It is not on the market yet. It has a 900+ API elementary school. Let me know if you would be interested.

J.
408-910-4822
you may give me more information to my mail address pangjiangjj@hotmail.com thanks!
Flag Sun Aug 12, 2012
Here is a snapshot of what's available now in Cupe schools

1 / 16
MLS #: 81219616 DOM:80
Status: Active

VIA VOLANTE , Cupertino 95014

Class: Single Family Residential List Date: 05/24/2012
Beds: 3 List Price: $899,900
Baths: 3 (2/1) Sale Price:
SqFt: 2,167 (Assessor) HOA Fee: $231.00
Lot Size: 2,613 Sqft (Assessor) X-street: Homestead/De Anza Blvd
Elem Dist: Cupertino Union School
High Dist: Fremont Union High

Remarks: Gourmet kitchen w/granite counters, stainless appliances incl Thermador gas stove w/ downdraft vent. New oven. New carpet & paint throughout. New kitchen & bath floor. Soaring vaulted ceilings, tons of windows & light. Open floor plan. Computer loft off master often used as a nursery. Excellent Cupertino schools! Great location near shopping, dining, parks, De Anza College, Apple, Kaiser.

1 / 20
MLS #: 81229599 DOM:5
Status: Active

GLORIETTA CIRCLE, Santa Clara 95051

Class: Single Family Residential List Date: 08/07/2012
Beds: 3 List Price: $888,888
Baths: 2 (2/0) Sale Price:
SqFt: 1,589 (Assessor) HOA Fee:
Lot Size: 8,165 Sqft (Assessor) X-street: Kiely
Elem Dist: Cupertino Union School
High Dist: Fremont Union High

Remarks: Wow! Light, bright, open & airy home situated in terrific Santa Clara neighborhood with excellent Cupertino schools! Kitchen features granite slab counters,gas range,stainless steel appliances & custom cabinetry. Built-in cabinets & bench seating in dining area provide ample room for family meals.Gleaming hardwood floors thruout.Outside,enjoy the sparking pool(w/fence), organic gardens & BBQ area!

1 / 23
MLS #: 81229635 DOM:5
Status: Active

BORINA DRIVE, San Jose 95129

Beds: 3 List Price: $872,000
Baths: 2 (2/0) Sale Price:
SqFt: 1,456 (Assessor) HOA Fee:
Lot Size: 6,200 Sqft (Assessor) X-street: Brentwood
Elem Dist: Cupertino Union School
High Dist: Fremont Union High

Remarks: CUPERTINO SCHOOLS! The Sunzeri/Borina Families owned the orchards this Clarendon Home was built on. This 3bd/2ba home has refinished hardwood floors, Copper Piping, New Windows, Updated Baths w/New Vanities & Light Fixtures, Six panel interior doors, No Acoustic ceilings, A/C, New Furnace & Water Heater. Fruit Trees Galore (Avocado,Orange,Lemon,Tangerine,Apple,Pear,Peach,Plum and Apricot!)

1 / 7
MLS #: 81227592 DOM:20
Status: Active

SOUTH WOLFE ROAD, Sunnyvale 94087

Class: Single Family Residential List Date: 07/23/2012
Beds: 4 List Price: $869,000
Baths: 3 (3/0) Sale Price:
SqFt: 1,764 (Assessor) HOA Fee:
Lot Size: 5,814 Sqft (Assessor) X-street: Inverness Way
Elem Dist: Cupertino Union School
High Dist: Fremont Union High

Direction: South Wolfe Rd between Homestead and Inverness Way.

Remarks: Great Remodeled Family Home! Beautiful hardwood flooring. Newly renovated kitchen with granite countertops. Entire second floor is a Master Suite with large walk in closet and beautiful bathroom. Second master bedroom on first floor makes for a great extended family home! High ranking Schools. Easy care back yard! Bonus room! Easy walk to Cupertino Center shopping and restaurants!

1 / 12
MLS #: 81229629 DOM:4
Status: Active

HANCOCK DRIVE, Santa Clara 95051

Class: Single Family Residential List Date: 08/08/2012
Beds: 4 List Price: $849,000
Baths: 2 (2/0) Sale Price:
SqFt: 1,350 (Assessor) HOA Fee:
Lot Size: 6,432 Sqft (Assessor) X-street: La Herran Dr.
Elem Dist: Cupertino Union School
High Dist: Fremont Union High

Remarks: Sharp 4BR/2Ba with Cupertino Schools Close to New Apple Campus and Kaiser. Dual Panes. Copper Pipes. Refinished Hardwood Floors. Newer Roof. Central Air plus Whole House Fan. Enlarged Shower in MBR. Attached (2) Car Garage with Expanded Driveway. Quiet Location. Move-in Condition. Easy Commute to All Silicon Valley High Tech Employers. Best Value on the Market.

1 / 11
MLS #: 81229598 DOM:6
Status: Active

CRESTMOOR COURT, San Jose 95129

Class: Single Family Residential List Date: 08/06/2012
Beds: 3 List Price: $799,999
Baths: 2 (2/0) Sale Price:
SqFt: 1,382 (Assessor) HOA Fee:
Lot Size: 8,000 Sqft (Assessor) X-street: Crestmoor Drive
Elem Dist: Cupertino Union School
High Dist: Fremont Union High

Hope this is helpful!!! The normal offer day is Monday-Tuesday on listings from the previous week. So what we are seeing here is that a buyer will look Thurs-Sun and write offers on anything they like that weekend. I think the market in Seattle is running pretty similar as far as low inventory and lots of offers!

Erica
**
I'm going to play it safe and recommend Cupertino School District. This spans San Jose (95129) Santa Clara (95051, one area of it), Sunnyvale (part of 94087) and Cupertino. You can get in a nice house for your price range and with those schools, you can always rent in about five minutes if you ever need to move/ and/or sell.

Homes in these schools are currently going on multiple offers, so expect about $50,000 over the asking prices to "get" the offer accepted.

If you start connecting with a realtor, the district code is "455" and you can get a search by district for all the cities/towns etc. in that district.

Moreland is a lovely school district. The issue for that district is the high school is in a bigger area that encompasses Campbell. Your re-sale won't be near Cupertino although some homes in Moreland are completely beautiful on great streets with more square feet per dollar than in Cupertino.

Erica Glessing Nelson
DRE 01425475
Editor/Co-Publisher "Sell Your House Fast for the Right Price," pick up your free excerpt now at http://www.SellYourHouseFastbook.com with excellent stories of how to sell your home fast!
408-416-7090
HI Pangjiangjj,

Go to my website, http://www.buyorsellhomesinthebayareaca.com. Here you can find homes available in the Hamilton Road area, what schools have the highest ratings, what the neighborhood is like, and you can compare your present neighborhood to the neighborhood your are searching in.

Then when you are ready, give me call and I will show you the homes you have picked.

Hi Pangjiangjj,

Congrats on your husbands new job and welcome to the bay area. Their are a lot of good areas and schools within this price range and I would recommend that you pick a good Realtor to work with. Once you have done that you can work closely with them to educate you about the areas, schools etc. that fit your needs. You will then be well informed and be able to make a good decision for you and your family.

Jim Guido,

Realty World/Blue Property Group
Email: jim@jimguidorealtor.com
Website: http://www.jimguidorealtor.com
DRE# 00700635
Hi Pangjiangjj,

As was mentioned by others, more information is needed to help you determine the best area for you and your family.

When children are involved, the first thought is always about schools, but there is more to think about than just that. Fortunately our area has many top rated public schools with high API scores. Also there is a good selection of private schools if that is of interest to you. In other words, you'll be able to find top schools in most of our areas that still allow a reasonable commute time for your husband.

I would recommend writing a list of items that will be important for you and your family. For example, are you into sports, if so which ones. Do you want to have access to specific shopping areas, parks, and churches? What about the community? We have areas that have lots of city-sponsored events. Some areas have incredible farmer's markets on Sundays! And there are opportunities to go to free concerts several times a year in certain locations. There's lots of great hiking in our local foothills and mountains; is it important to be close to these areas?

Some of this may seem obvious, but it can be easy to over look. I would suggest that you sit down with your husband and put some thought into these items. Then it will be easier to find you the type of community that you would enjoy.

Please let me know I can further assist you in your move to our area!
Please contact me via email so that I may send you listing in your criteria with detailed information. Please let me know what your criteria would be as far as bedrooms and bathroom count. Also if you would like a pool no pool or association situation. I look forward to hearing from you, Hamilton Rd is a vast area so it would be best that you let me know the particular scenario of your husband's location.

Denise A. Szyszlo Realtor
DRE 01441160
Office:: (408) 369-2000 x319
Mobile: (408) 768-7097
Fax: (888) 334-0888
Email: denise.szyszlo@century21.com
Website:http://www.DazzleHomes.com
CENTURY 21-Alpha
419 E. Hamilton Ave
Thank you for your question Pangjiangjj for your question:

For quality of schools, I recommend the Cupertino Schools, however the price range of $600,000 to $1,000,000 is at the very lower end of the price range for Cupertino Schools.

A good compromise are the Moreland Schools, (Campbell Schools), as noted by Lang Lequang.

To find home with the best schools for you, the best commute for your husband, and the best home for your family, I need much more information.

Please call me at my cell phone: (408)509-6218.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.
Hello Pangjiangjj,

Moreland Schools, Forest Hill, Marshall Lane (Campbell School Districts) & Cupertino schools are great schools. But it is hard to know where on Hamilton Rd so you can try the following:

Check this link and look at the district lines to be exact for what schools you want your children to attend: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/West_Valley-San_Jose/1494/…

From the district lines, you can find homes for sale from this link: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/West_Valley-San_Jose/1494/

Hope this helps,
Lang Lequang http://www.ezrealtysanjose.com
Hello Pangjiangjj,

Hope this helps,
Lang Lequang
http://www.ezrealtysanjose.com