carebearess, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

$8000 closing costs on a $163,000 condo

Asked by carebearess, San Jose, CA Wed Jul 25, 2012

I am purchasing a condo as an investment property. The price is $163,000 and I'm putting 20% down. If the closing costs are close to $8,000, is that normal? Which costs are negotiable? Seems a little high to me.

Answers

1
Something is way off, because the settlement statement includes all closing costs, prepaids, and down payments as one accounting sheet with a total value to bring to the table. If you're putting 20% down, that is already $32,600. There are so many variables on the rest of the closing costs that it's best to have this discussion with your agent.

Are you escrowing the taxes and insurance? If not, then you will need to prepay a year insurance and provide 2-4 months advance for taxes and insurance as well and all are part of your closing costs. The survey is part of your fee if you didn't negotiate for the seller to pay. The appraisal is part of your fee. The title police can be negotiated for either side to pay. A lenders title police would be yours. Recording fees would be yours and then there are flood certificates, underwriting fees, loan origination charges, etc....

You can negotiate for specifics such as Title Policy or Survey or you can ask for a blanket value to cover some of your closing costs up to the cap value of the loan type. The actual costs separate from the down payment can vary greatly depending on the type of insurance, the need for flood insurance, the tax rate in your area, etc...I recommend sitting down with your agent to go over the settlement statement. Good Luck.