eager_first_…, Home Buyer in Palo Alto, CA

1684 VIA CAMPAGNA location and landfill smell

Asked by eager_first_buyer, Palo Alto, CA Wed Sep 30, 2009

I wanted your opinion of this area. It is less than 2 miles from the landfill. Homes are newer and priced in the low 800K...I am afraid of the smell from the landfill and future resale/appreciation of these properties....I would appreciate if you can share your expert views on this.

Answers

9
Lang Lequang’s answer
You can check this link for school district: http://www.sccoe.org/resourcesfamilies/districtlocator/
and also for academic performance report: http://api.cde.ca.gov/AcntRpt2009/2009GrthAPICo.aspx?cYear=2…
Hello Eager and thanks for your post.

As the others have already noted, the price of the home located at 1684 Via Campagna in San Jose is just about market, so there is some room for negotiation. You should check the school district with Campbell and Los Gatos to ensure that the home is, indeed, located in the Campbell School district. Districts will occasionally split a street in half, so it is conceivable that one half of the street is located in the Los Gatos School District, while the other half is in Campbell. Both are good school districts, on the whole.

However, regarding the landfill, I'm not concerned about the landfill and, if this is one of your bigger concerns, you might consider this just about closed with the City of San Jose. According to San Jose's own records, the Guadalupe landfill is scheduled to close sometime in 2010. The site is almost at is 16,000,000 ton capacity, and is slated to close by the end of 2010, if not early 2011. Federal and State laws require that trash be encapsulated daily with a fresh layer of dirt, which minimizes smell and promotes degradation of the material beneath. Landfill technology is quite awesome, and there are plans in place to address both the methane gas that comes from the landfill as well as the rainwater that might soak into the material. Once closed, the landfill operators are required to "cap" the material to prevent gas problems, smell and water intrusion--so all you will likely see after the landfill is closed is vegetation and, perhaps, even a golf course or open space area. Landfills are--by law--monitored for 30 years after closing, so any ground water contamination and/or hazards created by a landfill are quickly removed.

So, I think I can safely say that the landfill problem should not be a problem very shortly. As someone who worked very close to a landfill for years, and then for a period after it was capped, the area afterwards was turned into parklands, contributes well to the community and is now the home of the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View. On a more "green" note, gas generated from these landfills is often turned into electricity that is added back to the electrical grid.

Good luck and let us know if you need any additional information.

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Hi eager,
Recent sales do not support the 899k price, in that area more like 829-832 range on recent sold homes.
By the way the street over has Los Gatos schools , but this house is in the campbell school district, so if that was a big consideration, then this home is NOT for you, especially at that price.
Hope that helps,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 30, 2009
Depending on the weather sometimes the smell is noticeable. The other factor are the trucks going to and from the dump. They can be bothersome to some.

I would recommend that you visit the home on several different days, especially on hot days and weekends and determine for yourself what is acceptable.

Some of those homes are beautiful.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Thank you folks. This is very helpful. I will make sure that I check the schools first with the district.
Hi again Eager,
When it comes to schools, you really have to check for yourself. If you check the Co. Office of Education website, you see that 1684 Via Campagna is Campbell schools and 1672 Via Campagna is Los Gatos. If this is really important to you, I would advice going to the district office to have this verified.
If you are sincerely interested in this home, let's get together to discuss how to get this home at a price that makes sense to you.

Roland
Apparently for these homes, schools are part of the los gatos school district, which is an important consideration for me.

The homes are fairly new, but like you said the lot size is pretty small 3300 to 3500 sqft...

Are these homes worth 800K or higher taking all these factors into account?
I would never tell you that a landfill didn't smell, suppose I was wrong? You need to find out what the landfill was filled in with. It could be just rubble and the like, rather than a dump for garbage. If thats the case then there would be nothing to degrade. I would check with the city to see what was used in the land fill. If it was degradable I would still go to the dump site on the next warm day and see if there is any smell. If there is then that would affect the resale value, and if you are purchasing in the 800k price range I would not recommend that area. As this is an issue for you I would make sure myself that the landfill would not affect my purchase.
I hope this helps, if you need any assistance let me know.
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
Hi Eager...
I live and work in Almaden and am not aware of a problem with the smell from the landfill. However, it is true that these homes are priced lower than their appearance and condition suggests. With or without the smell, being close to the landfill is a negative and there is heavy daily traffic on Guadalupe Mines Road with trucks going to and from the landfill. Another factor is that, as with most newer homes, they are almost all 2-story homes on small lots.
This neighborhood does not feed into the most sought-after Almaden schools, either, although most of the residents feel the schools are great. They are Guadalupe, Dartmouth M.S., and Leigh or Branham H.S.(Free zone). I'd have to check to find out the exact borderline, but some of these homes go to Los Gatos Schools. Let me konw if this is important to you. I hope this helps.

Roland
Web Reference: http://www.rolandbarcos.com