Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Potential Bu…, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

2 SFH houses on a lot

Asked by Potential Buyer, San Ramon, CA Fri May 13, 2011

I looked at one SFH. The MLS mentions that it is 2 houses/lot. What does it mean? I haven't seen any other listing in the neighborhood like this.

Answers

2
To add to what Martin provided that I believe to be solid, it is possible to add units to existing homes provided that setbacks can be met. These additional 2nd homes are typically granny units but some areas they may be full studio rentals. Depending in the age of the homes, older homes were not generally biult with the second units but many homes in Winderemere and the Dougherty Valley (and others) have 2nd units already built as a mechanism for municipalities to meet affordable housing quotas.
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
Hi Potential Buyer,

Usually that means that there are two houses on one lot. In otherwords, it is a duplex but instead of being attached units, they are separate which is a huge plus. You say that is the only one you have seen like that in your area. In my area, that is quite common, though not every lot is zoned for multiple units. Since it appears to be rare in your area, you might want to check and see if that lot is zoned for multiple units. Do your due diligence if it is a property you are interested in so as not to have any surprises down the line.