Home Buying in Santa Fe>Question Details

Edie Layland, Real Estate Pro in Irvine, CA

2 Questions: 1. What's currently going on with the Chicken problem in El Dorado? 2. Is there confidence is the water supply?

Asked by Edie Layland, Irvine, CA Sun Sep 1, 2013

Answers

3
Hi Edie,
Another great link for you is http://savewatersantafe.com.
Santa Fe, including Eldorado, has perhaps the lowest water usage per person in the country. It's an issue that should be taken seriously by a large swath of this country, but isn't - certainly not to the same degree as it is in these parts. I've studied the various reports and have confidence in their 100-year projection - as long as there isn't any further large scale housing development - but "they" say that the new housing the county has approved is already taken into account. I'm aware of two approved subdivisions that haven't been built yet - Spirit Wind South( 30 units if I remember correctly) and the Galisteo Basin Preserve - an environmentally sensitive development on which only 900 acres of a 13,000 acre ranch will be developed. These two developments will be in the Eldorado Water District. .

As for chickens, we'll see what the court decides. To me, it seems kind of silly. I live just a little south of Eldorado and my ladies provide us with fresh eggs and hours of amusement. While I might not choose to have a rooster if I were on a small lot of an acre or two, I personally don't see a problem with a couple of happy cluckers. On our 12.5 acres a rooster fits in quite nicely.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Maybe I should be thinking about the area where you live instead of Eldorado. I don't mind chickens and rooster's are fine by me too, but I'm not crazy about lawsuits, especially when an HOA is suing a paying member. Seems like letting a retired lawyer into the neighborhood causes more problems than chickens ever did.
Flag Mon Sep 2, 2013
Hi Edie -

A judge will decide if chickens are "household pets" sometime in early Spring 2014. The Eldorado Water Dept. says "The groundwater situation was reassessed in an updated hydrology study and groundwater model via a contract with Glorieta Geoscience, Inc. (GGI), in June, 2007. The results of that reassessment were that there exists a 100 year supply of groundwater. The study also included recommendations on the number of new wells that would be required to meet future demand."

Here is the link to the Eldorado Water website: http://www.eldoradowaterdistrict.com/index.php.

I have lived in Eldorado for 15 years and love it here. Originally from Tustin. Please do not hesitate to call me with other questions or concerns.

Lisa Smith
Santa Fe Properties
505-570-5770
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Thanks Lisa! I especially appreciate the link.
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013
There is water in Santa Fe including El Dorado.

Chicken can be served 6 days per week except on Thursday...unless after 9 PM, then you can eat it only 5 days per week.

Hope that I've answered your questions correctly.
but if u eat deep fried chicken once a week you are prohibited from eating again for 10 days there after and sequestered until you answer the question. Why did the Cx................to the satisfaction of afore said chicken.
Flag Mon Sep 23, 2013
rofl
Flag Sat Sep 21, 2013