Home Buying in Patterson>Question Details

Ryan, Home Owner in Patterson, LA

2012 Prorated Taxes due by Seller?

Asked by Ryan, Patterson, LA Fri May 24, 2013

I see on my settlement statement that from the beginning of the year until I purchased the house the taxes were prorated, the problem i'm having is that the prorated amount isn't even close to what I was charged for 2012. They prorated 469.52 and my City and County taxes totaled $1455.50... So this puts my escrow way behind and they're are attempting to raise my note 200.00/month to catch up on the difference...Is this something I should bite the bullet on or did someone go wrong somewhere? Basically I'm paying 1,000 in taxes for 2.5 months that I lived there...(October-December).

Answers

3
Review all the paperwork. There is usually a statement signed by all parties which addresses erroneous tax proration.
You could try contacting the title company that handled the closing. Unfortunately 2012 was a reassessment year so it is possible that the proration was done on the prior year's bill since the new bill would not have been published until late November. Good luck!
Ryan,
You know the two certainties of life, death and taxes. Fighting city hall, or the county seat is not an easy or advisable route. The problem was likely with your lender who didn't set up the proper amount to begin with. Regardless who messed up, you likely owe the taxes for the time you owned the property. If the arrangement is too steep, you can ask for an alternate plan, but if you're selling they will need to make it current in order to transfer the title.