Home Buying in 33990>Question Details

Mvk590, Home Buyer in Cape Coral, FL

.I want to build a house with a in-law suite with a full kitchen including a stove.Is it code compliant in cape coral fl.?

Asked by Mvk590, Cape Coral, FL Mon Mar 17, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:


Contact the City of Cape Coral building department or Lee County Building Department. You would have to check with zoning first. http://www.capecoral.net/government/laws_and_codes/building_…

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 21, 2014
If you build your house in a community coded for 'multi-family' you will be good to go.
It may be possible, in some communities to petition for an exemption. If the neighbors like the idea and voice no concern...you should be good to go.

You may also investigate if the property is sufficiently large and also zoned for more than one dwelling. An in-law cottage, a trend for aging in place, may prove to be your ticket to success. In most if these situations, the cottage is not permanent.

You have no choice but to visit the zoning commission with the PARCEL ID and your plans. David's idea to have someone experienced in such matters to represent you will prove essential.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 18, 2014
Your best advice is to check with the building department and a licensed contractor in CC.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 18, 2014
This is a great question for a builder. I happen to know a great local builder with a great reputation and who has been building in our area for the last 30 years. My suggestion would be to connect with him. Good Luck!

Lee Berchtold
Berchtold Builders, Inc.
729 Dean Way
Fort Myers, FL 33919
Office (239) 481-2929
Fax (239) 481-2917
Cell (239) 872-8999

David Lang
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 18, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer