Home Buying in Palo Alto>Question Details

kabayalemona…, Home Buyer in Mountain View, CA

3724 Feather Ln, Palo Alto - affected site of PCE dumping / chemical plume?

Asked by kabayalemonade, Mountain View, CA Tue May 20, 2014

I am buyer considering one of the properties in the Echelon project off of Fabian Way in Palo Alto (built by SummerHill Homes 2009). In doing my due diligence, I came across some alarming history of a tetrachloroethene (PCE) discharge in nearby 3825 Fabian Way - less than 0.5 miles away!

Public records indicate that harmful chemicals have been detected in the groundwater and soil of nearby properties.

A few sources can be found here:
http://geotracker.waterboards.ca.gov/profile_report.asp?glob…
http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/rwqcb2/board_info/agendas/2007…

However, when I Googled various permutations of the address, community name, and incident key words, I found no explicit mentions of the residential area being affected.

An experienced family contact who has been in the Peninsula real estate business for many years advised against the property for this reason. Any other thoughts from people who know the area well?

Answers

1
At the end of 2012 I sold a land parcel in Palo Alto (Barron Park, a few miles from Fabian Way) that had been an orchard for almost 100 years. A licensed engineer was hired to conduct "Phase I" and "Phase II" testing that looked for contamination in both surface and sub-surface soils, plus groundwater (drilled down about 50 feet). In our study, contamination was found and the seller had to clean-up contaminated surface soils and have the parcel and test reports approved by Santa Clara County officials. My advice is to ask for Phase I and II test reports if you suspect contamination.