Home Buying in Loop>Question Details

Gnt, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

165 Canal - Randolph Place

Asked by Gnt, Chicago, IL Wed Dec 12, 2007

Does anyone have an opinion about the condos at 165 Canal - Randolph Place? A number of units have sat on the market for quite some time now (as they have just about everywhere) and I wanted find out if there were some issues with the building to be aware of. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Loop

Answers

8
there has long been a rumor that the RR will sell building rights in the airspace above the tracks, in which case the view and flavor many buy the view for, will be lost! make sure you understand why you want that side of the building.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 24, 2013
The East facing units will eventually loose the view. The land is owned and the plans are there. It is just a matter of time before it goes up. Last I heard and read ( Crain's) he owner has filed for an extension for financing. The West units are huge and sunny! The train is the Metra, so you do hear the engines running, but for some that would be considered white noise. There was an option when the building was being built to upgrade the windows and sound proofing. The building has a wonderful workout room and 24 hr security. The location is perfect for commuters and loop workers. The values are holding.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 15, 2009
Thank you to all who responded. My wife and I ended up purchasing in Randolph Place and couldn't be more pleased. The unique layouts and the bonus rooms made this building really stand out for us. The price / square footage could not be matched in any of the other neighborhoods that we were considering (Old Town, West Loop, River East & River North) . I was also pleasantly surprised by how quiet the place is. Being able to walk to & from work every day and avoid the bus & L is just the icing on the cake.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 13, 2008
Some units face the railroad tracks (west) and take longer to sell. I had one of those listings. Also- it is a huge building so in a buyer's market- the buyer can really be picky about the unit they want to offer on... thus a longer market time for units that were initially overpriced.

Stacy
Web Reference: http://www.condochicago.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 12, 2007
There are no issues in this building that I am aware of. My cousin who is a Real Estate agent lives there and sells in the building regularly. Units sell pretty quickly there especially in this market. Its a highly desirable area.
I honestly like the building - it's a great location for those people who like to walk to work down town. The added "bonus rooms" are a feature that I probably have seen in only a handful of buildings in Chicago. Yes, some of the units face train tracks, and the finishes inside the units are starting to look a little dated, but overall I think it's a good building.

If you decide to buy - definitely take advantage of the "slower" market and the historically low interest rates.

Good Luck!!!
Which unit were you interested? There are several that have been on the market particularly those facing west (as you can hear the railroad tracks) and the view is not that great. The building management is great and the units are very quiet. The location is good also.
There are plans for possibly building a major highrise on the narrow strip of land just east of the building and many people are concerned that if and when a building is built, the spectacular view of the river could be eliminated. 165 Canal is very interesting as it has bonus rooms that are either attached to the unit or in another section on the same floor.

Pleople find this extra space great as they can use it for extra storage or some people even have made the space into a place to work out or for an office. I sould suggest you find out the "scoop" on the current status of the building by contact ing the management company of the building and read the minutes for the last 6 to 12 months so that you get an overview of what is happening in the building.

I would also ask the management company about the plans to build on the east side of the building. Please keep in mind that I haven't shown in the building for approximately 9 months so I do not have the most current info on the building"s current status.