Home Buying in Laurel>Question Details

ayelenegusie, Home Buyer in Bowie, MD

Zillow.com, the construction quality for homes in PG is inferior. what is the basis of this diffrences?

Asked by ayelenegusie, Bowie, MD Wed Apr 11, 2012

Zillow.com, the construction quality for homes in PG is inferior. Montg. county, rated > 8 (0-13 scale) while in PG is <6. what is the basis of this diffrences?

Answers

8
Ayelenegusie,

I am not sure what the factual basis for these Zestimates but the tend not to be accurate. I had my home built in PG and its on par with anything in the Washington Metro area in terms of quality for its price point.

Dont to be too concern with the Zillow information due to your due diligence with your home builder(s).

good luck
This construction quality rating is a programmed response based on laziness and no due diligence. My house is premium construction with the finest quality materials and excellent engineering and some fool at zillow rates it as 6???? on their foolish scale, it is slander by laziness, sorry to see this website fail due to laziness.
Whomever stats home construction is inferior or whatever stats were used are flawed. There is both excellent construction as well as inferior construction in every county and every state.
Zillow should limit themselves to weather forcasting or political polling instead of rating building quality... a subject they no nothing about. I am questioning if Zillow was including "Rehabs" in their sampling of building quality.

The quality of housing contruction has a direct relationship to market conditions. In the housing boom of the 1984 to 1990 period builders sold and built homes without regard to any reasonable quality control.

The market changed to a buyers market in the 1990 to 2000 time period. Builders had to improve contruction quality and endear themselves to customer satisfaction before and after settlement.

This last housing boom from 2001 to 2006 contruction quality remained from the 1990 period with builders conducting business like dicators. Most buyers were just happy to have a house to buy and didn't complain.

From 2006 to present. This the best time in 30 years to buy a NEW home. The builders who have survived this 6 year housing down turn have deserved to survive. it. The local and national builders
are responsive to their customers wants and desires in housing......they have to.

All the people involved in new home contruction today are the best the industry has to offer. From builer management to the most important person on the project, the superintendent have 20 or more years in new home contruction experience. They know what they are doing. The sub-contractors would actually build the houses again have survived the biggest housing downturn since the 1930's have the most experienced workers who again know how to build your house. The building industry is working on narrow margins to continue building and mistakes cost money. Subs don't like to hear the words.....We are charging you back $$$ for construction errors. Experienced employee's don't make mistakes.

If you are considering buying a NEW home the person you should absolutely get to know is the project superintendent. He is the driving force on your new home construction. Developing a relationship with the superintendent places a face and family to the home he is building and not just to a paper contract. Beer/pizza on Friday afternoon doesn't hurt either.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group
I'm confused. Why don't you post that information on Zillow?

Zillow gets a lot of its information from tax records, which can indicate the condition of homes. Maybe that's the source.

But in any county, you'll find homes built over a period of decades, if not centuries. What you should focus on is the construction quality of a specific home, not an overall average . . . accurate or not.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You can find inferior homes in every county in the country. You can also find homes of superb quality in PG county. Home prices in PG county are certainly inferior! :) Take the money you save buying in PG county and go on a tropical vacation each year for the next 20 years!
I don't understand where zillow gets that from as some of the same builders build in different countries of Maryland can you send me that link?
I'm not sure about this but I would guess that they are basing it on cost per s.f. Montgomery County is one of the highest priced counties in the US. I do think it is too broad of a statement for Zillow or any other site to make though. This will always vary by area, pricing, builder, etc.