Anon, Home Buyer in 07921

Young, professional newlywed couple looking to buy our first home in NJ. Neither of us is from NJ and we're trying to figure out which areas are

Asked by Anon, 07921 Mon Mar 1, 2010

nice! We want an area with lots of young couples/families and a good school district. Husband's job is in Rockaway, and we don't want to live more than 30 minutes from there. Price range is 300-350K. We love Cape Cods and ranches. Thanks!

Answers

30
Hi Anon -

You would be best served by contacting Debbie Rose!

Read some of her responses here on Trulia, see her profile and when looking up in Essex and Morris Counties .. I would say to give her a shot!

Debbie is a Realtors Realtor, she knows her stuff, has a great reputation and will help you find that home.

Now, that is a referral... If I do say so myself !

If you decide to come on down to Middelsex County.. well, then you would have to call me!

Good Luck with your search.
OMG! u r so rght! LOL !
I am thinkiing that this young couple has made a decision by now since they asked this question over 1 year ago!
Hi Anon, you got good direction from Dan Chase - I would agree - I have much respect for Debbie, she demonstrates her commitment and knowledge routinely here on Trulia. I'd reach out to her for your Morris County search/purchase.

If you find yourself venturing into Somerset County, then count me in!

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Find success at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hi Anon,

I second the motion. Please give Debbie the merit of your consideration and have a sit down with her to go over your needs and have a nice cup of coffee, etc.

Jeff

PS: I am NOT an agent. I'm a consumer like you.
I'm not sure this is the best website for what you are looking for. As mentioned in a prior post every agent is going to tout their area and perhaps themselves.

You may have already done this but googlemap Rockaway and draw a circle that is your desired radius and go from there. Several of the agents have mentioned websites to go to and almost all towns have their own websites, many of which include population breakdown by age. There are also town forums where sometimes frank discussions occur regarding the town and schools.

Once you get an idea of an area you want to explore, interview agents. You can look on this website to get a feel for agent's postings, visit offices, talk to their brokers and don't stop until you find an agent who you feel totally comfortable with.

I am not sure if you are out of state now or if you can do some driving around to get a feel for areas other than what you have researched online but that's often a simple but effective way to the feel of a town and its neighborhoods.

I think I've stated a lot of obvious things so I'm not sure how much I helped but I hope you will find NJ to be the beautiful, vibrant, varied place we who live here know it to be.
In all fairness, and with due respect, Al - had you actually answered the poster's question, it might have been useful to a "broader audience", maybe....... although I don't see how Anon, the original poster, would be interested in responses now, over a year later.

However, your exhuberant response was a bit amusing to read, don't you think?

(Besides, I've got you beat - been "in the area" for over 50 years!)
:)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 23, 2011
What can I say? John, Jeff, Dan & Jeanne - thank you all for your kind words and support . I do appreciate it very much .
Debbie

ps ( by the way - the checks are in the mail!)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 1, 2010
Anon, if you look at Debbie's website she has a lot of information talking about the areas she covers. It is worth looking.

p.s. I am also just someone who wants to buy a house. Debbie's replies are excellent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 1, 2010
Hi Anon

Well - stand back, and get ready for the stampede of agents touting their towns - why not! Most of us know our areas very well, and love them!

This can be quite overwhelming to you, I am sure.
What I suggest is to select a few agents from different areas...obviously, from the Rockaway area, too.....and have a discussion about what it is you are looking for in a town.
For example..........
Do you like a suburban feel? A more urbane, feel? Do you want a quaint town center or the big mall 5 min away works just fine for you? Is the size of the property important to you, or the size of the home?

There are a lot of questions I always ask anyone who is moving here from another area.

Just to throw my hat into the ring - I cover Essex County (I have lots of links on my website in regard to the towns , schools and other useful "stuff")...towns such as Livingston, W Orange, The Oranges, Verona, The Caldwells............as well as lower Morris County ( E Hanover, Florham Park, Hanover Township, Parsippany).

All of the above towns will keep you well within your desired 30 min. commute.

Good luck with the move. It would be my pleasure to help you in any way !

Best Wishes,
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 1, 2010
I have lived and worked in the Morristown area for over 30 years. And I have lived in Morristown itself for abourt 22 years. There is a wide variety of homes in that range and in Roxbury. Just give me a call and I would be glad to get you preapproved so we can schedule a buyer consultation and then we can begin our search !
Hi - best to start with an experienced agent who knows Morris county- meet the agent in person and have a discussion about what you are looking for and what you are prepared to finance - if you cannot meet in person- line up a few agents to interview by phone and thatprofessional can guide you through the process of buying a home in NJ - stick with the realtor who helps you and be loyal to them- unlike other states - in Northern NJ you will also need to hire a real estate attorney- there are many things a professional Realtor will help you with along the way - including referrals or resources you will want- if you are looking in Morris county where Rockaway is, this price range suggests more options in certain areas and an experienced agent can help- please let me know if you have further questions , it is a wonderful area !
This is public forum, so other people are reading this John. Hopefully the responses are directed at a much broader audience and not just one individual.
Hi-
The Rockaways and Denville are great areas to live.
There are plenty of Capes and ranches in your price range.
I lived in Rockaway for 35+ yrs and now live in Denville.
Please give me a call to discuss options.

Regards,Carolle
cell 973-960-8002
OMG I have lived in the area for 43 years !
I am a resident if Denville and could not think of a better area to live in. Great schools, sense if community. easy access to everywhere. I suggest you visit city-dtat.com for some great info and walkscore.com for things to do. I also invite you to visit my site http://www.jhalpernrealestate.com for your real estate search.
Good luck and I hope to hear from you.
Jeff
Hi Anon,

We wold not likely be your buyer agent, but I extend the following offer as complimentary service. We have neighborhood and community reports for every community in your target zone. They are in PDF format and range from 20-40 pages depending upon the community. Feel free to send an email to ClientRelations@PeninsulaFirst.com and request these be sent to you. Simply tell them the names of the towns for the reports that you would like to receive.

Welcome to NJ.

Deborah "Deb" Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
I agree with Lali. It would be nice to find an agent right up front, but one of the things that will determine the agent you work with will be the area you choose. Draw a 10 mile circle around the job location and start with towns inside that circle. Denville and Roxbury come to mind as places that you might start based on your home preferences. Homes to the east will generally be higher cost because closer proximity to NYC drives prices up. Since you don't need that access, I'd go a little bit west to get your best home for the money. Local knowledge is important in NJ so fInd a local agent who covers the 3 or 4 contiguous towns you decide to explore. Don't know where you lived before, but NJ is a little different than many other states. I was originally from Virginia and when I arrived in NJ (ages ago) I was amazed to find how almost every small town had its own government structure and regulations, not to mention school systems, sewer systems, etc. For example, some towns have public sewer, others only septic. In one town, the sewers may be maxed out and it may be nearly impossible to add a bedroom to a house, so that small house on a great lot may not be the opportunity you think. If the agent doesn't know the town, it can be very costly. From the distance you describe, you have the choice of everything from Long Valley to Parsippany and Boonton to Mendham. Invest a little time finding the towns you are most comfortable with before you lock into a realtor. There are wonderful, knowledgeable realtors in every town.
Hi Anon,
You should look in Moriss county. Rockaway, Montville, Moriss Plains. Do little "Open Houses" on Sundays, may be short term rent, that is the best way to start. Best of luck!!! Welcome to NJ. Lali.
Anon

I would suggest visiting my website from there you can searcha areas and receive school reports and crime reports which will give you a good idea and then hire a Buyers Broker which by the way I just happen to be one who works for a company that has office all around the state of New Jersey and we can help with all of you issues to find the right home. We can also get you pre-approved for a mortgage if you need one to start looking at homes.

Just visit my site to start

Thanks You

Tim Robbins

Better Homes Realty
Web Reference: http://njbuyersonestop.com
Debbie, I just got the mail...

. . . . /
. . . ./
\.. ./
. v

not exactly the perfect check. But the thought was there.
One thing I would do is look at the real costs of buying and renting. Make sure buying makes economic sense for you, your lifestyle, and future plans.
http://www.trulia.com/blog/dan_chase/2010/01/does_it_make_mo…

Prices are expected to drop in NJ in the coming year. I just want to see you look at every angle before making a choice no matter what that choice is.
http://www.housingpredictor.com/newjersey.html
Hi Anan,
There are many wonderful communities that surround Rockaway. I manage the Weichert Corporate HQ office located in the heart of Morris County on the Rt 10 Corridor. I want to personally invite you to a Local Market Update seminar that we will be having on March 20th. We will be covering market trends for many of the Morris County Towns that you will be interested in. There will be a wealth of other information that will be covered as well such as the Federal Tax Credit of up to $8000, the home buying process, the home inspection process, and much more. We will have guest speakers including a Real Estate Attorney, Home inspector, Mortgage professional, and myself to respond to any of your inquiries.
Please contact Jennifer Plinio at 973 984 1400 to reserve a spot. Space unfortunately is limited and we tend to fill up quickly.
I hope to see you there.
Hi- I am a realtor with 32 yrs. experience and lived in Rockaway for 30+ years.( I now live in Denville)
I know Morris County very well and would love to help you find "your American Dream"
Feel free to call me on my cell anytime.
973-960-8002
Regards,Carolle Donofrio
Hi, You have received good comments from others. Agents cannot recommend neighborhoods. I assume you have already talked to a lender as you mention your price range. If not you should first sit down with a lender.
You might want to start your search soon because of the deadline for the first time buyers tax credit .Interview 3 agents if possible . You can look up hud approved lenders on http://www.hud.gov and for infromation about the tax credit you can look up http://www.irs.gov
There is a site http://www.schoolmatters.com that has information about schools and you can compare schools.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Here is contact info of very good NJ agent. Hey you shop for a home, you shop for a mortgage shop for the right agent. give her a call I'm guessing you'll be glad you did, James

Lisa M. Cataldi I Licensed Real Estate Sales Representative, NY/NJ

Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate® (NY) I WEICHERT, REALTORS® (NJ)

NYO: 212.965.6013 I NJO: 201.333.4443 I C: 201.401.9767 I F: 201.604.9767

E: lisa.cataldi@gmail.com I E: lisa.cataldi@elliman.com

W: http://www.lisamcataldi.com I W: http://www.prudentialelliman.com/lisacataldi I W: http://www.weichert.com
Hi Anon, There a lot of great towns within 30 minutes of Rockaway. If schools are a main criteria, you may want to check out njmonthly.com and click on" town and schools" link. Nj Monthly ranks the Top 75 High Schools in the state. A good amount of them fall within 30 minutes.

Good Luck with your home search.

Richard Nicola
Broker/Sales Represenative
Weichert Realtors-Madison
Office: 973-377-4460 Ext 201
Hello Anon,
Congratulations on your home search starting in this area of Rockaway in Morris County. Your timing is excellent. You may be eligible for the Federal Tax credit of up to $8,000 for first time home buyers if you locate a house and are under contract by April 30 which is literally two months, but this credit and the low interest rates make it an excellent time to buy!
Rockaway has many great areas in your price range. I am confident I can work with you in this price range to find your new home. If you would like to talk about this further, call me on my cell phone at: 973-768-1888.
I look forward to your call.
Lynda
Web Reference: http://www.lyndadorio.com
Hello Anon,

Well then you are definitely in the right price range for the homes in that area. We have some great buys. I work with a partner and we have sold quite a fewe homes in the area.

Please visit our website for more info.

Christine M Altamuro
Weichert Realtors
973-557-5026
Hi Anon,

Unfortunately this type of post generates a lot of "hometowning". Which is where 10 agents post that their hometown is incredibly peachy and is where you simply need to live, and they'd be happy to assist you in buying a home. You might want to try posting the same question on city-data.com. You will get residents of the towns to comment on the positives and negatives of where they live.

Oh and Roxbury Twp is the greatest and I just happen to live there and can show you all the homes.... Jeez I'm feeling feisty this afternoon...

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director/Appraiser
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Web: http://www.marcpaolella.com