Home Buying in Clifton>Question Details

Maddie, Renter in Garfield, NJ

Young First time Homebuyer :)

Asked by Maddie, Garfield, NJ Tue Jul 9, 2013

I'm 23 years old and have been working full time straight out of school for a solid 2 years now. My credit score is around 720 and groing. Im looking to only put down a 10% deposit for a house less than $200,000 in NJ..is this possible? I pay $1200 for rent and rather invest it into my future home. Thanks!

Answers

4
It's great to hear you were able to secure a stable job right out of college and are now looking to purchase your first home; must be very exciting! While you could get away with less of down payment, it's most important that your monthly mortgage payment stays within a comfortable range.

Your home will most likely your single largest investment and it's important that you discuss your goals and expectations with a knowledgeable mortgage professional like myself. I'd like to help you better understand the mortgage process so you're more educated on the subject and can make a more informative decision when it comes time to complete your formal application.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can begin devising a plan of action, essentially ensuring a smooth closing.

Kindest regards,

Paul F. Marzolla
Senior Mortgage Consultant
(201) 957-6768
pmarzolla@unvmortgage.com
---
Licensed by the New Jersey Department of Banking & Insurance
Member of the National Association of Mortgage Brokers (NAMB)

Congratulations! Thinking about buying a house is great. It is a wonderful goal. There are homes that will fit your budget, but they might need a lot of repair and updating. Of course that takes additional funds, time and expertise. My husband and I bought our first home at 27. It needed major repairs and updating. Years later we are still fixing the house. Have you thought about investing in a condo. I assume you would like to be close to NYC as well. If you have questions about buying a home I would be happy to help. Maybe prevent you for making some mistakes that we did, don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck!

Caroline
Yes it is very possible. My advice would be to contact a lender and get a pre-approval letter. Based on your credit and income they'll pre-approve you for a loan and give you a letter that you can then give to a REALTOR to help you find a place. Ask your lender about a USDA loan which has 0% down. This way you'll have some money for your closing costs, which can be about 1-2% of your purchase price. Good luck! :)
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, for someone as young as you. Your credit and down payment are acceptable from what your description and depending on your DTI(debt to income) , you would qualify. A few questions would be able to help determine your maximum purchase price and loan amount. Contact me and I will review your available loan options with you, and help guide you.
gsantoro@westtownsb.com 732-800-0060