Home Buying in Bushwick>Question Details

Ssharp1854, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Y these realty co lie Massada PH Online Homes Extreme etc postings these fake properties

Asked by Ssharp1854, Brooklyn, NY Tue Mar 5, 2013

example a property on Stockholm going for 485K was a fake, i went into the office of extreme homes and they refuse to show me the house especially prior to showing up to the office i asked for that property and they told me its available.. realistically, it was a fake posting the property was never on the market, another case to name a couple, i went to Massada for a particular property, I spoke to the agent he told me we can see the property in two days, i asked him are there any other people interested in this property he said, the day comes and i go to his office and he forget the property and then tells me it was sold and tried to trick me into seeing another home, i told him im not here to waste time, i noticed that these companies do that they lure you in and try to sell you other properties that are not selling WTF

Answers

5
Kathryn Lilly’s answer
REBNY does not set the law on Licenses nor can they take a license away from any Broker. Only the Department of State can do that and if you have a complaint about any Broker, a REBNY, an MLS broker or otherwise; file a complaint with the Department of State of New York, after first trying to speak directly to the Principal Broker of the company that you have a problem with.

Kathryn Lilly, Principal Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-858-7600
These two companies are notorious for Bait and Switch tactics. I worked with a Buyer and we closed on an Extreme Homes property in Dec 2012, but believe me, it was a "Charlie Foxtrot" from the beginning.

It was pulling teeth in order for them to even work with a Buyer's Agent. They finally agreed only because my client was an all cash buyer and offered me a low ball flat rate regardless of the property value (looking back, having to deal with them wasn't even worth the paycheck)
Second, the Seller's Representative (he wasn't a RE Agent) literally screamed at the top of his lungs at both my client and I when we did our initial viewing and pointed out both major/minor issues of the property.
Third, they were late to EVERY appointment - including being 2 hours late to the Closing.

HUGE Red Flag #1: Undisclosed Address. If a home is listed legitimately, then the address will be present.

HUGE Red Flag #2: They refuse to work with a Buyer's Agent. If you as a Buyer are willing to walk into a deal where the property is already being suspiciously marketed, what makes you think this "under the table" party is going to represent YOUR interests in the transaction?

Unfortunately, this is a common trend in Brooklyn as greedy unscrupulous Listing Agents don't want someone representing the Buyer so they can slime their way through the deal and pocket YOUR cash.

As an Agent, I wouldn't recommend these companies to anyone.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 29, 2013
thank you very much
Flag Wed Apr 3, 2013
thank you very much and i 100% agree with you on your comments
Flag Wed Apr 3, 2013
I have also had the misfortune of working with the lying, unscrupulous, unethical clowns at Extreme Homes group. I would warn any one not to walk but RUN AWAY!
Hi Ssharp, I, too had a buyer go to the office of a certain real estate company that you refer to in your post to see two specific properties (before she contacted me). When she got to the office, she was told that she couldn't see one of the brownstones because "it was sold" & the other brownstone she was interested in "had squatters in the house who won't let anyone in." Of course they had "many other" properties in the neighborhood that she could see. None of them met her criteria and she was annoyed that they had wasted a day of her time. Specifically in Bedford Stuyvesant, Bushwick and Crown Heights, there are many listings on Trulia that are either not on the market, can't be shown because they're in the middle of the short sale or foreclosure property and there is no way to get in, already sold, or, my favorite of the week was a "Bedford Ave" property in "Williamsburg" - when the house was really in East Flatbush! Here are some tips so you aren't a victim of the "bait and switch." 1. Look for listings that have a complete address, not just a street name. 2. Ask if the broker is the "exclusive agent" for the property. 3. Ask if the broker is a member of the Real Estate Board of New York. Best of luck in your search!
158 Hart Street.... Its my friends brownstone but if you run the address all of these comapnies will tell you its avil and they are the broker...lol

There is a thing called REBNY, its the Real Estate Board of New York and they make the rules of Real Estate and how it should be practiced in a fair and ethical manner. If you are a REBNY member and you do not follow the ethical rules of New York you lose your real estate license.

So look for a comapany that is a REBNY member and if they are not then you know they do not join so they can operate willy nilly like the wild west

Karen Woelki, The Corcoran Group, REBNY member
Thank you Karen! The "wild west" or "gold rush" is how I hear the market increasingly referred to as. Not only that, so many listings on Trulia I see advertised by some of these companies above what the developers sell (and pay commission) for. That seems quite similar in my opinion to a Net Listing which is not only against REBNY rules but NYS Real Estate Dept. of State Rules (getting and/or keeping a commission above a certain price), which people can lose their license for (so not only unethical, but not allowed). The Wild West for sure. In my opinion, Trulia should have a better filter system.
Flag Wed Mar 6, 2013