Home Buying in Palm City>Question Details

Jen Graham, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Would you please list rental space fees or whether a home prefab or mobil home is sold as both land and home?

Asked by Jen Graham, San Diego, CA Sat Aug 17, 2013

Answers

7
I saw this question and was ready to give a well thought out answer but John nailed it. Thumbs up to you sir.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 18, 2013
Yes, he did and I appreciate it very much.
Flag Sun Aug 18, 2013
Just to clarify a couple of mis conceptions. First they haven't made PRE HUD "Mobile Homes" since June 15, 1976. If they were built later than that they are called HUD "Manufactured Homes" and follow the same guidelines that regular site built home follow.

Second, neither Mobile or Manufactured Homes have ever been built on a slab. They are either place on a pad and pier support system and/or a perimeter stem wall. I'm not aware of MH's ever being placed on a "slab".

If it's a rent/lease park/community your rent can be all over the map depending on the location, management rental increase policy, if the community is in a rent control area and/or if it is close to a beach or in a high end MH community with lots of nice amenities, etc.

If the MH is located in a resident owned community/development you will most likely pay HOA fees. and property taxes. If on a private parcel you would pay property taxes providing the home is on an engineered certified foundation system. If not you would pay property taxes on the land and personal property taxes on the MH (chattel).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 18, 2013
Thank you for clarifying for me. I have a lot to learn about the best buy in regards to "mobile homes." At first they seem like a great deal, but you have to consider that in most cases you have to pay space rental fee that may increase quite a bit. It seems as the renter you are at the mercy of the land owners. I am wondering if there is such a thing as a good deal on a mobile or manufactured home. Thanks again for taking time to educate me somewhat.
Flag Sun Aug 18, 2013
It depends on the location of the Mobil home. Some are on private property. If it is on private property owned. And, If the home is on a slab or has wheels. With prefab, that is another story that home and land. I would have to see the listing. Most mobile parks charge any where from 350 to 1200 for space rental. And, your only buying the unit.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 17, 2013
Jen, don't buy into attempts to discourage you from purchasing a "Manufactured Home". Yes, it' true managers can and in many cases do raise rents at their whim. But that's where you have to do your homework. Here's some information I'd like to share with you that may help you make a prudent buying decision.

You really should start with the park manager. You will have to fill out an application and be approved by them before you even make an offer on a manufactured home in a rental park. At this time you will know what their rental rate increases are.

If the home isn't located in a rent control area then most managers will adjust the rent annually according to the "Consumer Price Index" (CPI) which can vary between 1 to 3 percent depending on inflation and a few other variables.

Very few manager/owners tend to gouge their residents unless they're dealing with the burden of deferred maintenance, infrastructure issues or high vacancy problems. But this you could determine yourself simply by driving through the park/development and observing the vacancies, homes for sale and speaking directly with some of the residents who may be outside.

Be sure to have it thoroughly inspected by an experienced MH inspector and not just any home inspector as there are several nuances with MHs that you don't have in a conventional site-built home and most home inspectors not familiar with these nuances will not even know what to look for.

Make sure the inspector crawls under the home and thoroughly inspects each and every pier and pad assembly for rust, deterioration and decomposition if steel and for decomposition if concrete as homes close to the ocean can be severely impacted by salt.

They should also make sure the home is level by checking all the doors and windows to make sure that they are not swinging or sticking and that all the strike plates on the doors are properly aligned and the doors close soundly.

The inspector should also inspect the steel mainframe for rust and decomposition as well. I can't tell you how many mainframes we've had to repair that were suffering and in some cases even failing from rust and deterioration related issues.

Be sure and have the inspector check for rips and tears in the vapor barrier under the floor. If there are openings in this membrane it could allow the insulation under the floor to become compromised and even fall on the ground.

Openings in the vapor barrier are also a great place for rodents and cats to habitate and reproduce. We've eradicated countless critters from these cavities over the years and it's not a very pleasant experience.

Finally and very importantly make sure the home has a California State Housing and Community Development Department (HCD) certified earthquake resistant bracing system (ERBS) as most areas in California are classified as a Zone 4 earthquake area which holds a high probability of risk for a seismic event..

We are a California licensed and experienced manufactured home and general contractor and manufactured home dealer, developer and real estate brokerage with decades of experience in the MH industry.

Please feel free to contact us anytime at 800 909-1110; cell: 760 815-6977. Or email us at onthelevel@cox.net.

Please feel free to log onto any of our very user friendly websites:
http://www.mh-processing.com http://www.tagrealestatesales.com http://www.chadofalltrades.com http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
Well they are all different.

I would say run as far as you can from a mobile in a park where you lease the land. Unless you can get a real bargain. Here is why:

The owners of the park and and do raise rates when ever they want and there is nothing you can do about it, even moving the home is not a feasible option. So you can pick these things up for real cheap. Even then you may end up walking away from your investment.

You can get into a regular house in Palm City right now for a song and a dance. So w;hy would you do a mobile home?

Give me a call I can tell you what your payment would be, how much you could qualify for and then go out and compare that to the mobile home. Then if you go with the mobile, it would only be if it is a smoking hot deal.
Thanks JR.........................................
Jen, are you addressing this request to any home and/or park/community in particular. Or are you just asking Trulia to do it as a matter of policy. I'm a tad confused about your request. I specialize in Manufactured Housing in San Diego and have a lot of information I could share with you if I fully understand what it is you really need.
I am requesting that as a general policy. I am looking at a lot of manufactured housing in San Diego in order to buy in the next year.
Thanks.
Flag Sat Aug 17, 2013