Greg Palazzo, Real Estate Pro in Westlake Village, CA

Would you consider buying a home with an "extra large" or long back yard if an earthquake fault ran through it? Not by the house but

Asked by Greg Palazzo, Westlake Village, CA Tue Jul 8, 2014

through the yard.

Answers

3
Yes, I would consider such a home if the price and condition were right.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 9, 2014
Good answer.
Flag Tue Jul 15, 2014
First of all you will want to research the online Alquist-Prieto Earthquake maps and get the specifics of possible past activity. Always use this tool when searching for a home in California. Get very familiar with areas that may be at risk. This will help you narrow down your specific criteria!
It always depends on your risk tolerance - some people jump out of planes but that's not on my bucket-list. Seriously, have your clients research the Alquist-Prieto earthquake hazards maps prepared by the State and viewable on-line. Some faults are considered 'dormant' but others are still rated to be active even though they haven't had a rupture in recorded history. The Santa Rosa fault just north of Thousand Oaks falls in the active category with displacement along the fault rated as possible.

As a native San Franciscan I still remember reading an article in National Geographic about the San Andreas fault. The writer was speaking to a woman living in Daly City just south of where I lived. When she asked about how she coped living on top of the fault, she pooh-poohed him saying "It isn't under the house, it's out there by the back fence". That's risk tolerance!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 11, 2014