James Mccart…, Real Estate Pro in Chalfont, PA

Would you consider buying a home that has wallpaper in some rooms?

Asked by James Mccarthy, Chalfont, PA Thu Oct 25, 2012

Many new home builders are decorating with wallpaper once again. Often it is difficult to tell that it is actually wallpaper!

Answers

4
Wallpaper is something that goes in and out of home fashion depending on the year. I think the appeal of wallpaper is all in the kind that someone chooses. Granted it can be difficult to install, but it can really pull a room together.
Michael Foster http://langspainting.com/wall.html
Hi and thanks for the question.

Now from a realtor perspective... I absolutely would consider buying a home with wallpaper in some rooms. In the true perspective of things.. if the home meets all of the other criteria, such as location, price, square footage, structural integrity.. etc.. wallpaper is cosmetic (assuming it does not cost you too much money, time and effort to remove) other things I mentiioned may be much more costly.
I see location and price and structurel integrity as major buying points and remain to be some of the most importantt factors in making decisions on home ownership. Some homeowners are turned off by wallpaper, but it is taste, perspective and a variety of other factors...Honestly, everybody's perspective is different, I do speak for the majority of buyers I have worked with in the 2012 year of home sales..

all the best,
Janet Ditroia
Pennsylvania
Long and Foster
I've bought more than one house *because* of the wallpaper. For me it's vintage wallpaper that rings bells - I love it. And with every house I go on a wallpaper quest for the perfect historically appropriate wallpaper. I'm not as fond of new wallpaper but some of it is very stylish and I've seen it done well in high end houses.

On the other hand wallpaper that's out of style or even very beautiful wallpaper when there's lots of it can make a house linger on the market. In real estate you're trying to appeal to the masses and the masses have signed on to the paint-is-the-only-way-to-go mantra.
Jim you bring up a good point. I have no idea why builders are doing this as the majority of buyers do not want wall paper as it is not consdiered "an asset" in a home. If anything, professional stagers, Realtors and the most important group, buyers do not want to see walllpaper in a home as it is seen as dated and troublesome to remove.
Frank, I agree with you 100%! If you ever try removing it, you open a whole new world of issues, patching, spackling, and sanding. You are not only dealing with steps in repairing sheetrock but, your also dealing with having the experience to make sure it floats out smoothly. I wouldn't let it keep me from buying a house I really wanted, if the price and location were everything I wanted as a buyer.
Flag Fri Oct 18, 2013