Home Buying in School>Question Details

Madison/Midd…, Home Buyer in Madison, WI

Would you buy a house across from a high school? I am looking at the house on Bristol street and Franklin intersection near Middleton high school.

Asked by Madison/Middleton Buyer, Madison, WI Fri Aug 3, 2012

Answers

5
I just realized I answered this question before in a wrong way. I live in the area and yes, would look into buying this house if I was looking to move. The students do not start arriving until about 6:15 am. The on street parking is pretty none existent after 7:15 until after 3:30, but if you are looking at living near a school you probably have considered that. The part a lot of people do not consider is the after-school activities such as the football games that can run until 10 pm and are not quiet. Personally they do not bother me much.
You will also have more trash left along the sidewalk and in the street. In this area it is not too bad. The neighborhood has lots of friendly people that I talk to on a regular basis, and is close to so much.
A thought is to go and talk to your would -be neighbors, see what they have to say, see if you can get along and be happy around them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 22, 2012
Old thread, but still a relevant question for future homeowners. All answers are spot on. The one thing that hasn't been pointed out is that each has their own level of tolerance. If you're already starting out thinking that the noise/traffic/activity is even a little bit annoying, think about how you would feel five years down the line.
But if you're the type that loves the hustle and bustle of a neighborhood or central activity area, living across from a high school would most likely be fine.
Bottom line, try to predict how you feel about a place a few years into the future.
Thanks for the suggestions.
There will be constant traffic, both car and student. Not to mention noise...have you seen teenage drivers? I'd NEVER want to live across the street from a school-especially a high school.
Yes, I would if I had kids that would be going to High School soon. If they are involved in anything while in Middle School and High School, then you would not have to drive them everywhere, they could just walk. My daughter is starting High School this year and she is a social butterfly who has to be in everything and wants all her friends involved as well. I have to drive her 8 miles 1 way and then go back and get her unless I want to hang out in town until she is done. Good luck with your decision. Location, Location, Location. Middleton is a great place to live.