Travelbug, Home Buyer in San Diego County, CA

Would you buy a great house with high voltage power line running about 20 feet from the backyard ?

Asked by Travelbug, San Diego County, CA Sat Dec 5, 2009

The house is REO and it's priced 10% less than the most recent comparable sales. I love everything about the house except for that power line. I am planning to stay in this house for at least 10 years. Thanks for your inputs.

Answers

8
Dear Travel,
High Tension Lines have been linked to certain types of Cancer clusters. I recommend you study this before you make a final decision.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
Travelbug,

This is not a question that WE have to make but appears to be one that is on your mind. The fact is that if, you as a potential buyer, are questioning this home's desirability relative to the proximity to the powerlines, it would be fair to assume that future buyers would as well.

We recommend doing some additional investigation of the possible risks involved with this type of location before making a commitment.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
I would pay less for it than the house...a block away. I would expect more than a 10% difference.

Joan
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Many people live near power lines, and homes near them are bought and sold all the time.
That being said, and to answer your question directly, I'd have to agree with others..if for no other reason, due to perception, I'd think twice before buying there. I'd probably pass. But, as Mack said, this is a personal decision.

Is the home near the stanchion, or do you just see the wires? I had a listing with the stanchion in the backyard. I sat on an open house, and watched cars pull up....slow down....and then quickly drive away, without the people even coming inside to take a look. The home eventually sold (it took a very long time).....for at least 15% below similar homes.....and that was years ago, in a good market.

I am sure it is tempting, and it's a lovely home, as the price should reflect the location. I don't think 10% is enough of a discount, though. This is a big investment..........do your due dilligence, and read up on this before moving forward. There is a lot of information regarding high tension wires on the internet.

Best wishes........
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
No. Eventually you will want to SELL it. And your pool of potential buyers will be 10% of their otherwise possible number - purely because of those power lines. And those who would buy it from you will not pay you top dollar for it, because of the lines.

Selling a house down the road doesn't need any obstacles that can be avoided right now by buying a different house.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
10% is nowhere close to what you should get as a discount. And that is just for the power lines, it does not include being a REO.

You are likely to find much higher insurance costs.
You should not be surprised if your electrical appliances have much shorter lifespans.
If something happened and the wire broke, imagine it arking and sparking against the house. Could it happen? 20' is not much you know.

Never expect an easy resale if you do buy this. It could be a year or longer to resell, and that in a good market.

Many people believe that those lines will cause cancer, or other ill health effects. Many people see [power lines like that behind a house and just turn around in the driveway never bothering to look at the house.

Those people may be wrong, maybe there is no real danger to people from those lines. BUT as long as that perception remains your buying pool will be very small and slow arriving at your door.

For the best deal look at a house without known objections. You do not want to buy a house you could never sell. A freeway in the backyard, a toxic waste dump nearby, a cell phone tower, big windmills, and yes, those ugly power lines all effect the desirability of a property.

The fewer objections you buy into the less problems you will inherit from the place you purchase.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
No, I wouldn't. This is a matter of personal preference, mind you; certainly, people have enjoyed living in these houses over the years.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Depends on if it is common for that area or not.

But I once did a few open houses for a friend at one of their properties which had one in the backyard and every single person loved the house and when they saw that, they were not interested. So although you may not mind, think also about resale.

Sean Dawes
Web Reference: http://www.SeanDawes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009