Andy, Home Buyer in Madison, WI

Would you buy a condo in Madison? If so where would you buy? 160-180k price range

Asked by Andy, Madison, WI Wed Feb 13, 2008

I recommend the Fitcburg area. I have a listing for a lovely two-bedroom 2 bath condo in Fitchburg that is slightly under $180,000. It features an open floor plan, separate entrance and attached 2-car garage, gas fireplace, master suite with jetted tub and screened porch. Please contact me at my website if you would like additional information : annemccartney.com.
Hi Andy,

I think the best value is downtown. You are close to everything, restaurants, activities, clubs, the lake, etc. There is a really nice project that was just started last year just east of the Capitol called The Colony at 625 E. Mifflin St.

What is unique about this project is that included in the purchase price you received your choice of several different types of wood floors, granite counter tops, maple cabinets, and ceramic tile. Also standard in the price is a stainless appliance package (electric or gas) and the ability to put in a high tech stainless hood over the stove or finish off the cabinetry and put in a stainless microhood. Also included in the purchase price is four hours with our interior designer to assist you picking out your finishes. Most units are still in a white box phase letting you still add your own personal touch.

The good news is that there are still a few one bedroom units for sale at the $179,900 price. This also includes one parking space in the parking garage. A large storage locker is also available for purchase if needed.

I would love to take you on a tour ---- call or text me at 608-354-8107 or email at starks@firstweber.com These units are going fast (we just did a price drop last week to try and close out the project by year end and units are moving!)

Sue Stark
First Weber Group
My personal favorite Madison condos in that price range are The Gardens at Swan Creek, located in the Swan Creek neighborhood in Fitchburg. There is actually only 1 currently listed under $180,000. Let me know if you would like to view it.
The condo market in Madison is still soft but that is very good news for you as there are still deals to be had. You will want to work with a Realtor that has experience in condo sales to ensure a purchase that is a sound value as well as a sound condo association. For additional information visit my website at http://www.suestark.com.

Give me a call at 608-354-8107 and I can discuss a variety of different projects with you, East, West or Downtown. Lets get started -- remember you need to close by November 30th to receive the $8,000 first time homebuyers tax credit!

Sue Stark, ABR
First Weber Group
429 Gammon Pl
Madison WI 53719
Web Reference: http://www.suestark.com
The condo market currently in Madison is very very soft. There are a surplus of condos with an absorption rate in Madison of over 16 months. If you are looking at a longer term investment (3 or more years minimum) then a condominium is a great way to go, and with so many available, there are deals to be had. However, your appreciation and profit on a condo vs. a single family home will be smaller. Take care and good luck in your search!
My wife and I are selling our townhouse/condo should you be interested. Just listed it last week, right in the middle of your price range. Great westside neighborhood (with especially great neighbors). If you're not looking to live right downtown, I'd definitely recommend the westside... there's a bit of a price premium on the west (vs. eastside) but that's a good thing, right? We love the place, but have decided we need more bedrooms since we plan to expand our family. Check it out, Andy!
Andy, great question. In Madison, there is a surplus of fantastic condo's, and you have a large variety to select from in that price range depending upon your needs. Baker Realty Group can help you locate the condo your looking for. I would start by going to my website, http://www.billbakerteam.com, click on market snapshot, complete the form as a buyer, and it will display every condo with your specific requirements. Then give me a call, and I will personally take you to see the ones that meet your needs. Also, I will make sure that the market snapshot continues to provide you updates on condo trends every 2 weeks. Have fun, if you have a question, let me know.
Madison is a great place to live and a condo can be a great home for you and a good investment. I would recommend speaking with a professional and be more specific about what you are looking for and what your goals are. They will be able to give you information to help with your search to make the best decision for you.

Good Luck.
I don't see any problem with buying a condo in Madison - there are some great ones out there and you can get a very good deal right now! I totally agree with Rob that location is key. I would think about what it will be like to try and sell the condo in 5 years, and hopefully avoid selling a 5 year old condo in a market surrounded by brand new condos that are very similar to it.
The Condo market is a little more sensitive to market conditions than homes. Still average prices have appreciated about 5% over the last 4 years. Whether is makes sense for you depends on your criteria. In terms of resale, as always location is key. There a quite a few (165) properties in that price range, so using a Realtor could save you some time in your search. :) I wouldnt reccomend anything to you without understanding your needs a little better.