Home Buying in Marietta>Question Details

Vidushi Raina, Home Buyer in Marietta, GA

Would it hurt to get a house with 2 car garage in a 3 garage neighborhood? How much difference does it make on the overall value of the house.?

Asked by Vidushi Raina, Marietta, GA Fri Apr 12, 2013

Answers

12
You are over analysing...

You need professional help - what does your Realtor believe is the concrete value difference in that particular Neighborhood for a place to park one car, covered?

I'll give it $5-9K...
Web Reference: Http://intowninsider.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 12, 2013
Not necessarily. That house should be priced according to it's features. However, if you are the only one, you will also have a more difficult time selling unless you are priced well. An additional garage can be worth $10-$15,000 in price depending on other features and price point of the house.

Barry Wolfert, Associate Broker
Wolfert & Wrenn Team - Keller Williams
No if you like the home its ok tofall in love with it. It's nothing wrong with it having a two car garage. Smaller homes in bigger home neighborhoods normally due well in apprasials. Remember your home price has an opportunity to raise up to the price of the three car garage homes. White elephants are normally homes that are the largest homes in the neighborhood which can't move upward until the smaller homes catch up. The difference depends on what neighborhood and we could run a CMA on the home to get the value of the home. I always say your networth is with your network, the homes this two car garage is among will almost certainly make it worth more in value by it being among this network. Call me! Let's write the contract today. 678 502 8238
This question really depends on the price of the home - and the size of the home. High quality finish details will bring more value than a garage in most cases. On the other hand, if families in this size and price range have teenagers or inlaws living with them, (or if you might go that way some day) or have a couple of "toys" like Harley's or jet skis, then a two car garage could be a deal breaker.

There are many other variables I would discuss with you if you were my client. You do need expert advice from someone who has experience with home building when it comes to issues like this. If you make the wrong choice and don't understand how to allow for future variables, your options to "do one item now and the other later", may be much more expensive and impractical, or even impossible in the future.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
What is your budget for this "one choice or the other decision?"

In other words, add all of the features that you want to your plan, and if your cost vs. value makes sense, then do it.

Even though this is new construction, Remodeling magazine's cost vs. value annual report should help you through the decisions.

And, so will a competent Realtor...

Check the web reference.
I always advise my clients to pay most attentions to a structural upgrades. You will have one time opportunity to add the garage or to convert 2 story family room to 1 story and an additional useful area above or to add an additional bathroom etc. But you can at any time replace carpet with hardwood or upgrade light fixture or expend deck. Cosmetic upgrades an average pays back 50% , but structural 80-90%.
But decision is yours.
I am helping a lot of home buyers to buy their new new construction home.It is a wrong assumption that when you are buying a new construction you do not need to be represented.
Good luck with your new home.You can always contact me with any additional questions:LiliyaK@kw.com
this question just goes to prove the fact that in order to make a knowledgeable decision in the home buying process you need the guidance of a realtor. if he/she cant provide this info you should definitely consider moving on. And it definitely does make a difference in the properties value.

Kaylane Peters
Coldwell Banker South Gwinnett
licensed in Ga. & La.
kaylanesellsluxury@hotmail.com
404-907-0798
could be a positive.. Best investment is the lowest price house in a higher priced neighborhood.. Construction cost are more for the 3..so it should be less than the recent sales of the 3 garage ones.. I hope this helps. A three car garage is not important to everyone..see if you can get a gem...
To add to my question, I'm looking to build a new home. The main conflict in my mind is whether to add 3rd car garage or add features inside house - covered deck, built ins, add more hardwood instead of carpet. Thoughts?
There's a bit more "value" in the home with a 3 car garage, but you rarely would see it "hurt" you. However, you should expect a few $1,000 less for a 2 car garage home. This is more pronounced in the scenario you gave with the 2 car garage being in the minority. However, it's still only a few thousand difference vs other items in the home.
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
We don't think so, but there are many variables involved. Best next action is to ask a local Real Estate Broker by clicking "Find a Pro" in the main menu at the top of this website. http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/
Value is in the “eye of the beholder” as they say! Does your home have more living space than the one with the extra garage? Maybe someone has no need for that and would prefer not to have the space. In general, homes do sell for more if they have more amenities, but all factors have to be accounted for. Best of luck!