Whee01, Home Buyer in 22311

Would it be crazy to think I could buy a vacant lot in DC/Northern VA, and build a modern, eco-friendly pre-fab modular house like a weeHouse, for?

Asked by Whee01, 22311 Thu Nov 26, 2009

under 200K for everything? from construction to installation?

Answers

5
Not crazy, but probably difficult. Still, there are plenty of vacant lots and tear-downs both in D.C. and Northern Virginia that are, in some cases, fairly affordable.

As for eco-friendly pre-fab homes, I know a little bit, but not too much, about them. The person who does know is a guy named Minh Pham, in suburban Maryland. He has an interesting story. His family came to the U.S. from Vietnam as boat people. They worked their way up and by the 1990s Mihn had a business degree (I think from the University of Maryland) and had gone into financial planning. He moved from that to being a real estate investor, starting with lease-options. He then moved into coaching other real estate investors. More recently, he's moved more into the whole life coaching and life simplification area. But one of his areas of particular interest has been low-cost, eco-friendly housing. Minh's website is http://walkingonwater.ning.com/ If you're serious, you have to talk to him. (Note: I've obviously met Minh a number of times over the years and have gone to a couple of his seminars. But I'm not receiving any compensation or benefit from the referral. It's just that it sounds as if he's the right guy for you to talk to.)

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Disregarding zoning laws, it appears it would be better to buy a camper trailer and live in it. At least the camper would be resaleable. If you bought a 10 year old camper it would be even cheaper. An rv, motorhome, would be bigger and is something to consider. But since you are talking a huge city area with crazy laws saying what can and can not be done on a lot be sure to check before ever trying this, or the weehome. You might find that local zoning prohibits both options.
Let us start a info source on pre-fabs.
Does anybody has a source list?
Ramesh Chandra
703 635 8209
mepcigroup@gmail.com
I think it's a terrific idea that I have been contemplating myself. Pre-fabs have come a long way!
As to the cost - there are a number of websites, and the magazine "dwell" might be a helpful resource.
Give me a call to discuss further.
Web Reference: http://www.mokaiser.com
Only u will know is try it, by putting the real numbers 2gether.
rgds,
Ramesh Chandra
703 635 8209
mepcigroup@gmail.com