anti_suttee, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Would it be a big hassle to live in a house with the backyard fence (6 to 7 feet distance away from the property) facing a big apartment complex?

Asked by anti_suttee, Austin, TX Fri Apr 12, 2013

The house is in a nice neighborhood. It's been on the market for almost 5 months. Curiously, it seems that we are the first bait.The backyard seems to be in a permanent shade; nothing grows underneath the fence because of the trees on the other side of the fence. It's so short-distanced from the property that you would hear the traffic and see the lights from the apartment complex. Besides, it turns out that there are lots of seemingly problematic issues, original heater/ac/ furnace (14 years old), very damp window upper ledge (normal scale - 8 / this one - 25), and lots of hairline cracks on the walls and windows.

Answers

8
Jason Crouch’s answer
I think this has the potential to be a disaster for resale. The fact that it's in a nice neighborhood and presumably priced well but still sitting on the market after 5 months should give you pause. If I were you, I wouldn't pursue it, although I don't know all of the variables. Is it the only place in your price range in an area you want?
Anti, Having a very small yard is one thing, but backing to a major apartment complex is a whole different issue. That is probably why it is still on the market and you were the first "bait". If you have a Realtor, they should really do their homework as to what the property is worth and how difficult it would be to resell. If you do not yet have a Realtor, feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do to help out…

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012)
Call 512-261-4415
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 12, 2013
Backing to an apartment complex is a MAJOR issue, not withstanding the others mentioned. Just remember, you had better get this property at a major discount because you'll have to sell it at a major discount when you're in the seller's shoes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 12, 2013
What are you looking for exactly? Price range? Location? Amenities? etc.

Check out my Buyers Guide on my website:
http://atxhomesales.com/buying/buying.html

It will help you narrow down and think about what is most important. If a backyard is not important to you, then a property with a backyard might not be a problem for you. If you are looking for a fixer-upper then the other problems might not be a big deal either.

But, because you are mentioning these things as concerns I would say that this is probably not the property for you. I would be happy to do a search and preview some homes for you, and let you know which ones fit your specific criteria.

Give me a call or shoot me an email.

Matt Trussell
512.529.0874
http://www.ATXHomeSales.com
Sounds like it is not the right house for you.

You want to feel great about the house you buy....you should be saying WOW...COOL....PERFECT....or see the vision that encompasses those words.

If you're seeing too many negatives it is not the right house.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Sounds like you're getting what you pay for here. It is tougher to resell a property close to multifamily buildings, but it depends if you can find anything else out that matches your criteria in your price range.
Living next to an apartment complex comes with it's own set of circumstances. Everyone's situation is different, obviously. So, it all depends on what your wants, needs, and goals are. I agree with my colleagues about it considering the ramifications when it comes time to sell. All of the other issues are again dependent on your particular situation and what you can negotiate. A good inspection is always recommended.

Beth Wood
The See Beth Sell Team
Keller Williams
512-761-5738
There's a market value for everything. Just need to determine what that market value is, and if you will be happy living there or renting it for margins that work for you.

Email me directly through here or my website if you need a Strategic Market Analysis done. No cost for clients, and only $450 for customers, and highly worth the expense.

An SMA is a series of evaluations in trends and market values that will give you a better idea of true value to you and your needs.
Web Reference: http://www.shawnmon.com