Home Buying in Albuquerque>Question Details

Adriana, Home Buyer in Rio Rancho, NM

Would any of the real estate agents on here encourage a home buyer to buy a house and sign paper work the day they showed the house?

Asked by Adriana, Rio Rancho, NM Fri Nov 29, 2013

I was a first time home buyer and very dumb, my realtor showed me a new house, everything was shiny and new. The sales lady said if u buy it today I'll knock $1k off price and throw in upgrades. I pulled my realtor aside asked him what he thought he said go for it. I thought I could trust a realtor to say its a great deal but you might wanna sleep on it-an advisor. Now I'm in a house I don't like

Answers

10
If it is a seller's market in your area and this one meets your needs, you better hurry.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 30, 2013
Buying a home is usually the largest purchase most people will make in their lifetime. For this reason I like to sit down with first time home buyers at the very beginning and talk all about the process. My goal is to learn all about the buyer's needs, likes, goals and wants in a home. That way, if we find ourselves in a home, and the buyer gets emotional due to all the "shiny and new" things, I can help them get clarity. Often first time buyers want to run out and start looking at homes before they have fully identified what their needs really are. When I can persuade buyers to get clear about their needs and when they take the time to get educated, I believe the buyers are more satisfied in the end with their purchase.
Sometimes.

If there was huge competition for a property, the buyers loved the property, and it looked good to me, I'd suggest that the buyers make an offer but with all appropriate contingencies in place (not too many, though, if there was a lot of competition for the property).

On the other hand, in a case like yours, no. New home construction generally doesn't create that same frenzy of excitement. And I'm the type of person--personally--who likes to think things over, to weigh the pros and cons. I've gotten used to salesmen telling me, "This offer is good only for so long as I'm here" or "This offer is good only for long as you're here." Tough. Then I definitely pass.

Different Realtors have different styles and approaches. It's very important that the Realtor's style mesh with that of his/her client. I would have handled it differently. But you've bought the house now. Try to appreciate its good elements.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
It's now water under the bridge.
You can dwell on it, or you can make your dwelling a home you will like.
And, when the time is right, sell it and move on.
Many buyers are ready to buy a house the first day they see it because they may have been doing their due diligence for days, weeks or months before seeing that particular house. Your situation, where you do not like something you paid thousands of dollars for, cannot be judged on your question alone. A full investigation of the facts is needed to determine if it was reasonable for your broker to help you buy that particular house.
Hello Adriana,

What is it about the home that you don't like?

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
FREE Listing Alerts: http://www.syan.com/alerts
Web Reference: http://www.syan.com
HI Adriana,

I'm sorry that you felt pushed into the purchase of your home by your Realtor. But to answer the question, yes, I have often had buyers want to write up on offer on the home that they say they loved on the same day that they saw it. I have met a buyer at an open house, showed them four homes in 2 hours and they wrote up a contract on the first home that they saw. Many years later, they still love it!

In your situation I would want to ask you, "did you go to the home inspection?" If you did, that would have given you another opportunity to check out the home again for a few hours to see if it was really the right home for you. Also, if you had any doubts within the first few days after signing the agreement, you could have gotten out of it. No builder wants you in a home that you hate because in the long run, word of mouth advertising is everything.

Pushing buyers into a purchase of a home that we don't really think they love isn't what most Realtors want to do. We want our buyers to be so happy with our services that not only do they use us again in the future, but they refer all of their friends, family and co-workers to us. My buyers and sellers have said this about me:

http://www.trulia.com/profile/httpYesRealtyNewMexicocom/#__rec

In your case, your Realtor just may have misread your cues.
I hope that you come to love your new home or are able to sell it for a profit in the near future.
Mary
There are many different looks at that question... Is the transaction time sensitive? if so, aren't there contingencies to be met throughout the transaction? Saving money because you have to make a quick decision has and almost always will be a bad decision! You can't argue with history and facts... However, if the decision is based upon different criteria, the whole situation is weighed and then you find that in more than occasional instances occur in real estate when a buyer or seller needs to make a snap decision. The professional your working for is there to be "non emotional" and help you make the right decision based upon the situation and how it benefits you.
Hi adriana

It would depend on what the situation is. Is it a good deal that is not common in the area, price range and size of home. Are you in time sensitive situation? If none of these apply then probably not in todays market you usually have time to look around maybe go and look at the home again. You have the final say as a consumer it is your money and a huge decision.
Sounds like a new home. New Home agents have the ability to wheel and deal as they are not Always licensed and are consider direct representatives of the owner. Your own Realtor may have assessed it as a good deal, but sadly, the final decision is yours. I can help you sell what you have and do a better job of getting you what youwant