Gary, Home Buyer in Paradise Valley, AZ

Would a HOA in a small, affluent area be as strict at enforcing the CC&R's versus a middle-class area?

Asked by Gary, Paradise Valley, AZ Fri Apr 30, 2010

For example, affluent people have more income and generally would care for their property in accordance with CC&R's so the HOA might not be as "nosy" or intrusive upon the owner.

Answers

6
Gary is would help you to talk to some of members of board of the particular HOA and see how they would handle a infraction and how hard they enforce their CC&Rs
I do not have a specific answer for you Gary, but I like your question. HOA's are comprised of people within that neighborhood. With that said, the level of enforcement of a certain HOA pertains to the residents of that HOA. However, you will find that HOA board members often take a lot of pride in the power they wield in their neighborhood. You do not know how many times I have encountered the silliest citations in HOAs, all probably because someone felt powerful issuing it. I do not think you could say wealthier areas are more stringent, because all types of personalities are found on all ends of the socioeconomic spectrum. I do not know if that helped at all, but if you have any other questions or concerns, please visit my website or call/email me. Have a great day Gary!

-Rob http://(www.scottsdalehomesbyrob.com)
Gary~
I don't think it will matter as HOA's enforce their rules accordingly. It doesn't matter the affluence of the neighborhood. Typically HOA"s exist to enforce rules set by the board to uphold the look and values of the neighborhood. I don't think they'll stop sending notices and enforcing rules just because the neighborhood is more affluent. It actually may be a stronger enforcement as the neighbors of the rule breaker will likely turn you in because they moved in to an affluent neighborhood because it was so nice (and affordable) and they want to keep it that way.
All my best
Laura Myers
My experience supports James' comment that more affluent people tend to be a lot more picky and "nosy" regarding rules. They want to maintain the "quality" of their property, and tend to be a lot quicker to go after anyone who they feel may be affecting it.

The first condo I lived in was a large, converted apartment building. Lots of wealthy people, generally middle-aged. I was 22 years old and just out of college. And the long-time residents were very, very picky. Later, I lived in a number of other places with more of the residents closer to my age and my socio-economic level, and it tended to be a lot more relaxed. The rules were still enforced, but it wasn't like the secret police were watching all the time.

In the years since, those early experiences seem to be fairly consistent.

If you're uncertain about a particular community, do this: Knock on some doors. Ask some of the residents. Seriously.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Gary

HOA's have a fiduciary responsibility to enforce the covenants, conditions and restrictions as written however in practice I see deviation. Some neighborhoods tend to be really strict and others are not so much. What might that mean? To me it seems precedent is fairly common, if you drive around and others are acting and doing as you want its probably a good thing. If in driving around you see things you really don't like, maybe its time to look elsewhere? Can they change, absolutely, the HOA could elect new individuals to the board and decide to enforce age old restrictions that have been let go.

The good news is that we have choices!! HA

I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, just some practical advice based upon years of experience helping people purchase homes in the Phoenix metro area.
Web Reference: http://www.McVinua.com
To the contrary, more affluent people may be nosier and take the extra efforts to ensure that their community is maintained by the book.
Web Reference: http://www.jameswehner.com