Home Buying in Lihue>Question Details

Jeffrward, Home Buyer in Lihue, HI

Would Pikake allow a special use permit for a home-based business (doctor's office)? Also, why are there no trees in the subdivision? TIA!

Asked by Jeffrward, Lihue, HI Fri May 11, 2012

Answers

4
The trees are starting to fill in now. It's just a matter of time before many of the Pikake properties have some good-sized trees and more mature landscaping.

Re: home-based businesses most areas don't allow any that involve traffic or parking. So no doctor's offices but phone or internet-based businesses can be operated from home here.

If you want more info on anything email me at kathleen.luiten@hawaiimoves.com.
The lack of trees has to do with how many trees fell and destroyed homes in Iniki and the yard work a tropical yard can generate.

The residents are very cautious about the risks. Most are hard working civil servants and teachers and can not run the economic risks others on the island do.

The house across the street from me had 6 mature mango trees. New owner took them out as soon as he bought. Why? no time to keep up with the yard work. Pikake is a little more affluent that Ulu Mahi where I lived but I believe some of the same cultural forces are work.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 16, 2013
Thanks guys!

I was referring to the Pikake Subdivision in Lihue, Kauai.

I'm glad to hear there's nothing against trees in the neighborhood :) I'm sure it will be beautiful in a few years with some good landscaping.

I figured as much about the home-based business, thanks for looking into it...

Aloha,
Jeff
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2012
Aloha Jeff ... I responded once saying I would get back to you and somehow it all got deleted when I came back. Just in case you didn't see my first response ... Pikake is "short of trees" because it was farm land before it was developed. Trees are started to come in ... it depends upon the owners now.

I checked with my Broker about her opinion on the special use permit idea. She said it's highly unlikely it would be allowed. There are neighborhood covenants in place there in addition to County rules/regs. Hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of assistance! kay@alohaisland.com.