Home Buying in Woodmont>Question Details

Weldon, Other/Just Looking in Attorney

Would I lose value if I converted a two car garage into an office in Ct. region?

Asked by Weldon, Attorney Tue Apr 15, 2008

I am thinking of buying a house, my first, and it would be a long term investment. However, I want to add an addition to the house over the garage to put in a room as a master bedroom and convert the garage to office. This would also allow to convert the fireplace to an two sided fireplace which would be part of the living room and the new office. I do not like garages, and this would ad another 300 sqft above and below with close to 600 sqft total to the house (this is purely an estimate). In the Ct area, would this work turn off future buyers with the loss of the two car garage in my addition.

Answers

6
JUST A FOLLOW-UP...PAY A GOOD CONTRATOR AND FINISH WHAT YOU START. I SEE FAR TOO MANY CHOPPY HOMES AND THEY ARE THE EXACT HOMES THAT DON'T SELL AND BECOME DISTRESSED ASSETS...JOE
IF IT IS A LONG-TERM INVESMENT THAN DO TO IT WHAT YOU WANT AND NEED. SPEND SOME TIME LIVING IN THE PLACE BEFORE YOU DROP ALLTHAT COIN, AS YOUR PLANS MAY CHANGE ALTOGETHER. ONE STEP AT A TIME... ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY. JOE FASONE
If the property is already a 3+ bedroom, I would recommend leaving it a garage.
Weldon,

If you can make the changes and leave a one car garage that may be in your best interest. Most clients do want a garage when searching for a home. An additional room is great if you can also put in a closet. By adding a closet you create another bedroom. That can help overcome the garage situation.
I would also recommend keeping a garage. Many buyers are turned off by the lack of a garage -- so be careful. It also depends on where you are located in Woodmont (I live there too..). Is there alternative parking available? Can you provide a more detailed description of the property? Would love to help,
Best, Tania

tania.stetinin@cbmoves.com
Due to our New England weather and the fact that most buyers value a garage for storage and protection of their car, I would recommend keeping at least one of the garages.

You could also talk to your builder to see if there is some way to repostition the garage such as building a new one either in front of your office addtion or as I did move them over . I added a family room where the one car garage was and added a 2 car garage.

I see you list Woodmont (which I assume you mean Milford) which is where I live also where your proximity to your neighbors can be as little as 5 feet so depending on the side and front yard one of these may be an option. Either you or your builder should be able to confirm your options and zoning regs at Town Hall.