Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Mstymetravel, Home Seller in Indiana

With regard to my previous question, my listing agent was well aware that I would not be interested in contigencies. She would not accept my

Asked by Mstymetravel, Indiana Thu Feb 25, 2010

refusal. My agent said she cannot let her buyer make an offer without this contigency. She did call and try to talk me into going along with this and again I said No. She again became upset and said perhaps I should get a new agent. I think she knows that this house will sell - a great house with a great price. Her client loved the house, even bringing her extended family along. I didn't want to go through the variance process and leave bad feelings with the neighbors. I'm sure they don't want a massage business in an all residential neighborhood. Regardless, I do not want to be hassled if an offer is unacceptable to me. I have not heard from her since and do not plan to address this again. I have very good reasons to not even entertain this offer. No price was discussed. I simply will not go and seek a variance under any terms while I am owner. She will not make offer without this contingency. I think she was both unprofessional, biased and unethical.

Answers

4
I answered your previous question--basically saying that you were well within your rights to insist on no contingencies.

Just to add something here: You say, "She again became upset and said perhaps I should get a new agent." Based on your experience with her, I'd say that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Stick to your guns.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Mstymetravel

If we correctly understand your issue, your listing agent had a potential buyer for your property. If so then your agent was at that time practicing Dual Agency. In this situation it is incumbent upon the agent to advise both parties of his role as dual agent and to treat fairly with both parties. It seems that your agent tried to "strongarm" you into accepting an offer that was not acceptable to you. Refusing as you did was your bet course of immediate action. You should consider contacting the Broker for the agent to register a complaint and appoint a new agent to represent you. Read your listing contract to determine your options to cancel if any.

Good Luck

Fran and Mark Redding
Prudential Fox Roach
1010 Stony Hill Road
215-504-7500
215-321-3307 DIRECT
http://www.FranandMark.com
Web Reference: http://www.franandmark.com
My goodness Mstymetravel...
I work in Los Angeles, as well as many other excellent agents on this site. I wouldn't put up with that kind of treatment for one minute. Hire someone you can work with.
Hello, Mstymetravel;

Under those circumstances, you are right all the way, don't be afreaid of parting ways with an agent like that. She is suppose to be representing (Your Interest) I personally think her attitude is unacceptable. And she is not doing you a service by refusing to help you make a counter offer. That is her job. The buyer can always refuse the counter. For her to say she will not even write one out, is out of line. Just my opinion.

During these times, there are many listing agents out there that would love to have you as a client and work for your best interest.

Best Wishes - Blaine Richards Keller Williams - Hollywood Hills.